SOLVED

Browser replacing part of a CSS class name with $merge.url

Go to solution
sbrooks
Level 2

Browser replacing part of a CSS class name with $merge.url

Has anyone seen this before?

Email looks great in clients. But on Mac only, clicking to view online (from web app or Mac Outlook app), the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) displays partially-replaced CSS class names in the custom stylesheet, which I see in inspector:

Instead of:

.cta-text-for-regular-btn p { color: #FFFFFF; }

Browser displays:

$merge.url
-text-for-regular-btn p { color: #FFFFFF; }

The browser can't read that line of code, so the color reverts to its default.

What is $merge.url, and where might this be stemming from? I'm looking to be pushed in the right direction so I can focus on solutions. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Browser replacing part of a CSS class name with $merge.url

You can’t use the browser inspector to see the actual source (as sent via SMTP) of an email.

Look for “View Original”/“View Email Source” or similar. If the raw source is correct then it’s not anything Marketo is doing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

You can’t use the browser inspector to see the actual source (as sent via SMTP) of an email.

Look for “View Original”/“View Email Source” or similar. If the raw source is correct then it’s not anything Marketo is doing.

sbrooks
Level 2

As I mentioned, the email rendering is perfect within clients. Thus, source code in email client has no issue. It's only in the browser, when email is viewed online (I don't mean viewed in an browser email client). I inpsect and I crawl back up through the HTML to see the custom CSS stylesheet. All looks good except for the noted $merge.url replacement.

I figured it might not be Marketo-related. No problem, thanks for the response.

SanfordWhiteman

“Every browser on Mac” sounds like you have a systemwide plugin installed.