BriteVerify API integration to validate email addresses real time

Anonymous
Not applicable

BriteVerify API integration to validate email addresses real time

Hi everyone,

We have an embedded Marketo form on our Website (WordPress based) and are looking to implement BriteVerify (http://www.briteverify.com) on the form to validate the email address in real time.

BriteVerify doesn't have a Marketo connector, but it does have an API (here is the documentation they pointed us to http://docs.briteverify.com/real-time-api/).

It's unclear how I apply this to my Website so that it works. Anyone done this already and can help?

Thanks in advance.

-Raymond

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BriteVerify API integration to validate email addresses real time

Their API needs your API key to be sent along with the API call.

Technically you can do this in a javascript on your Marketo (or any other) landing page. But that means anyone can lookup your API key and use it without permission.

It would be better to do it in a web hook due to that. That way, you do not end up exposing your API key.

Please DM me or reach out at Rajesh@BrightAspects.com if you need some pointers.

Rajesh

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Their API needs your API key to be sent along with the API call.

In fairness any client-side connection must require an API key of some kind, if any usage accounting is going to be done.  And the API key is not necessarily usable outside of a locked-down URL (it could be hijacked and used outside of the browser, but that would be of very limited usefulness if there are rate limits, as there almost always are).  Etumos Verify requires that you specify allowed origins, such as *.brightaspects.com, and the key can't be plugged in on other sites.

As long as the API key does not allow reading or writing anything outside of its defined scope, there's nothing inherently risky about exposing a key.  For example, any SSO integration, social integration, etc. "exposes" a key.  That's not the same as, for a big counterexample, exposing a REST API key that can read your entire Marketo or SFDC instance.

SanfordWhiteman

Have you thought about Etumos Verify instead?  It was purpose-built to integrate with Marketo forms.

@Edward Unthank​ can tell you more!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Thank you for the suggestion. I just went to their site and tried filling out their contact form to get pricing ... my email address didn't pass their validation process! Ouch.

Looks like we're still continuing with BriteVerify. We liked their pricing model.

-Raymond

SanfordWhiteman

Thank you for the suggestion. I just went to their site and tried filling out their contact form to get pricing ... my email address didn't pass their validation process! Ouch.

Well, it verifies non-freemail addresses as a demonstration.  Did you enter a Gmail address or suchlike?

Anyway, I can't tell you how to integrate BriteVerify because it would be a conflict of interest.  I can tell you that they aren't so bright if they can't get it working with a Marketo form.