Re: Bot Activity Filtering Experiences

Vinay_Kumar
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Bot Activity Filtering Experiences

Hi Team,

I am curious to know how you are utilizing the Bot Activity feature in Marketo. Many of my clients are using an Activity Duration of 0 seconds, while some are using 2 minutes. 

Vinay_Kumar_0-1720188167165.png

Recently, in one user group, they suggested a 2-second duration. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
ggerla
Level 4

Hi @Vinay_Kumar,

this is a very good topic.

Actually, I found the bot activity filtering on Marketo very helpful, but with some limitations. We've started lowering the duration between activities from 10 to 2 seconds: that was the average between a consistent bot detection within our database.

By the way, we found some problems that cannot be achieved very straight away: an example is that a few months ago, I spotted a spam filter that was clicking more than 60 times the same email link in 12 hours; in this case, the proximity wasn't helpful.

That was a problem for a scoring model (we were given a point for a single email click every 2 hours), also Demandbase was connected to the activities and it was giving 60 points for a single email (DB is not too smart for creating a constraining period).

Maybe just considering the UNIQUE activity as a trigger could be a solution, as of now the only way to achieve this is creating a smart campaign based on the single URL into the single email and scheduling it as ONCE, but this is not flexible.

ggerla_0-1722856195418.png

Vinay_Kumar
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi @ggerla Thanks for sharing your thoughts! You’re right—this is an interesting topic, but unfortunately, no one else has contributed their thoughts yet.

uditmathur
Level 6

Hi @Vinay_Kumar ,

Although Bot filter in Marketo is not 100% accurate, but definitely does a decent job in filtering majority activities.

Regarding the Time duration, I usually keep it to 1 this provides a good indication for any activity which is not intentional (might also include unintentional click by an human). 

Time beyond 2 second have the risk of filtering genuine human activity as people can open an email & click any link within the span of 2-3 seconds.