Best Practice: Multiple Engagement Programs or Multiple Streams

Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Practice: Multiple Engagement Programs or Multiple Streams

How many streams are too many to reasonably include in a single engagement program?

We currently have two separate programs that could theoretically be combined. However, we will likely be increasing the number of personas so I'm wondering if it's better to keep them separate.

Are there are any best practices here?

4 REPLIES 4
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Best Practice: Multiple Engagement Programs or Multiple Streams

Hi Carolyn, one reason to put them all together would be to ensure mutual exclusivity -- that is, people can only be in a single stream within a single EP. If you have multiple EPs, there is a chance that someone could fall into multiple programs depending on your rules (gatekeeper). I like to keep different types of programs separate, but we also have a serious gatekeeper that only allows a person to be in a single EP at once.

Dan_McGinn3
Level 2

Hi Dory,

Do you have an example of your gatekeeper logic? We have 5 Engagement Programs (5 different business units). Essentially, I want to be able to move people between the engagement programs based on their interest and make sure they are paused in the other 4 or not in them at all. I imagine I can do this by building out a large number of campaigns, but am curious to see how you did it. Thanks!

-Dan

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Dan,

I use a master gatekeeper for our nurtures.  I have a few custom fields that I use.

Current Nurture - text field with name of engagement program

Current Nurture Status - normal or paused

The main gatekeeper uses choice logic to determine who goes into which nurture and puts the name of the nurture in the current nurture field. 

The recipient engagement programs ie your 5 EP, are watching for that field and if that field matches their program name it pulls them into the program.  Any change to the Current Nurture field will cause the EP to pause and transition to a different EP.  That ensures they are in one and only one EP. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Carolyn,

This article may address your question: One Engagement Program or Multiple?