Re: best practice for content download landing pages and programs

Anonymous
Not applicable

best practice for content download landing pages and programs

Hi,

We have offices in the UK and the US among others, and we want to publish content behind forms in those countries. We have about 15 ebooks right now. When people download the content, we want to start nurturing them AND send email notifications to the offices that have to deal with them (e.g. info@company.co.uk or info@company.com).

My question is what is the best practice to do this? 

I have set it up now so that I have 1 program per country, and below that the landing pages + for every landing page a campaign. So there are basically 2 programs, and those contain about 15 landing pages + 15 campaigns. The campaign puts leads into a separate nurturing program, and sends the notification emails.

Specifically what I ran into was the following; In this notification email I want to insert the name of the ebook that was downloaded (which is also the name of the landing page). The only token that I have acces to though in that email template is the campaign, and not the program or landing page. Does this indeed mean that I have to create separate campaigns for every landing page?

Secondly I now have duplicate pages for every piece of content (UK and US). I cannot merge them because then I cannot know where the lead should go (this is determined based on the source of the lead e.g. is he coming from our UK or US website)

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Erik,

I would rather recommend that you stick to the rule 1 content = 1 program, per country.

The way to do it it to create the first program that handles 1 e-book and when it is OK, to clone it for all the other contents. At the end, you will have 30 programs.

You would have reduced the number to 15, merging countries and using URL parameters to feed the source  in a hidden form field (see Set a Hidden Form Field Value - Marketo Docs - Product Docs )

The interest of keeping the rule 1 content = 1 program is that it will easy to compare content efficiency, not just run the programs. ANd also, your email alert will be different, so no problem.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Of course, you can handle the alert being sent to US or UK based on the value of the source field.

If the source field is being used for something else, you may create a new field in Marketo or use the "Country" field.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you gregoire, Would I still need a smart campaign for every landing page in that case? Because your recommendation wouldnt solve the issue that I need the name of the piece of content in the email, correct?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

In each program you will have :

• One LP
  • One forms (although this one might alternatively be in the design studio and shared amongst all programs)
  • One Alert email with the name of the content
  • One smart campaign that trigger when the forms is filled out in the LP and that send the alert email.

Tip : use program tokens (Understanding My Tokens in a Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs ) to store document name, so that yo will not have to edit the alert email, just change the token value.

-Greg

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Erik

Best practice would be if you create separate nurture program per country and under those, create separate campaigns for each landing page. In this way you'll be able to track performance for each page easily. Also in this way you don't need to merge the duplicate content and can define tokens at program or folder level. We have been creating Nurture programs for many of our clients and I would like to share how we create the basic structure for such programs. Please see the screenshot and I hope you find this helpful.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have after this.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Alok; The nurturing part isnt really my problem, its mainly how I organize all the content itself. All my nurturing happens in a separate program.

also isnt it somewhat confusing to have a folder called 'programs' inside your program?