SOLVED

Besides campaign tagging, how else can you set up email tracking in GA with Marketo?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Besides campaign tagging, how else can you set up email tracking in GA with Marketo?

Hello,

I'm writing because I'm trying to set up email tracking in GA with Marketo. 
We've tried manual email utm campaign link tagging, but it is too tedious to scale.
We want to be able to add a GA code snippet to each email and that be it.
I've come across this outstanding LunaMetrics post and have a few questions.
Part 1 of the post shows how to set up GA Tracking to capture email opens.
Part 2 of the post shows how to tag a visitor with an unique ID, so you can track him or her across several devices and whether or not he or she has visited multiple times. This unique ID needs to fire whether or not an email is opened or clicked. Essentially, we want to fool GA into thinking it has an image to load.

1) Does Marketo have a parameter similar to MailChimp's *|UNIQID|* merge tag for when an email is opened?
-This merge tag anonymously identifies a particular user.
-My guess would be I could leverage the MKTO {{Lead.ID}} token.

2) Does Marketo have something similar to MailChimp's Ecommerce360 link tracking for when an email is clicked?
-Ecommerce360 allows MailChimp to track visitors from emails and pass that information back to MailChimp.
-Ecommerce360 generates two parameters. One is an unique ID, which I would leverage as GA's Custom Visitor ID Dimension.

Thanks!

-Andrew
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Besides campaign tagging, how else can you set up email tracking in GA with Marketo?

That is a sweet LunaMetrics post thanks for sharing. 

I think in both cases the lead ID would work for what you are trying to pas to GA. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Besides campaign tagging, how else can you set up email tracking in GA with Marketo?

I'd check out developers.marketo.com for details on the API and munchkin code. If you have setup munchkin on your site, then most of this tracking occurs and you can leverage it. This tracks opens, clicks, visit web page, form fills, etc. Please look up the munchkin code details here and on developer site.

You could use the lead.ID token as well. I believe in links the token is ##MKT_TOK## or something like that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a sweet LunaMetrics post thanks for sharing. 

I think in both cases the lead ID would work for what you are trying to pas to GA. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Justin and Josh,

Thanks for the feedback!
No problem. Glad to share.
Will let you know if it works correctly:)

-Andrew