SOLVED

Re: Associating leads with URL parameters to SFDC campaigns

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Associating leads with URL parameters to SFDC campaigns

I am trying to figure out how to do something I had set up in the Marketo instance at my last company. I have the white paper that I am promoting to different channels as a single program in Marketo. I then used the URL builder to put in different sources and campaigns depending on where I am marketing it. I'd like to add the leads to the correct SFDC campaign, based on their particular source or campaign. I know this is possible, but can't quite remember how to set this up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Jennifer Strachan​,

The solution I propose does what you want to do. The only point is that you will have to add a third parameter to the URL though the URL Builded, hence the additional field that you will use as an additional hidden field in the form.

You will have to go to SFDC and get the SQFDC ID for the campaign 12-2015 Whitepaper name-advertising-PPC

SFDC ID are a series of characters that look like this : 00BD0000008CNGt

So you URL will end up with &CID=00BD0000008CNGt

Another alternative would be to add a flow step in the "fills out form" campaign that will trigger on form fill out, but it would be very hard to make it work because of the combinations of values to test (both the source and the campaign).

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jennifer,

You will need a field to the lead object to capture the campaign. A Marketo field will do the job (admin->field management -> New field). Let's call that field SFDC_CID, Type = string.

The better is to pass the SFDC Campaign ID as a URL parameter.

Then, in your forms, you capture this URL parameter in a hidden field.

Finally, in the "fills our forms" triggered smart campaign you just have to add a "add to SFDC campaign" flow step "add to SFDC Campaign", value = {{lead.SFDC_CID}}.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response Gregoire. I'm not sure that quite solves what I'm trying to do. Let me try explaining with an example and see if you think that is still what I should do.

- I have created a  program for a new whitepaper we are promoting.

- I have a landing page created for this whitepaper.

- I use URL builder to make a few different URLs. In this example, I have one that has the source as advertising and campaign as PPC.

- I want to associate a lead that downloads the whitepaper with the lead source advertising and to a SFDC campaign called "12-2015 Whitepaper name-advertising-PPC" to track the source and campaign

So I'm not trying to add a field to the lead record, but rather associate the lead with a SFDC campaign designated with the correct source/campaign. I also added the lead source as I'd like to make sure it is updated to match.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Jennifer Strachan​,

The solution I propose does what you want to do. The only point is that you will have to add a third parameter to the URL though the URL Builded, hence the additional field that you will use as an additional hidden field in the form.

You will have to go to SFDC and get the SQFDC ID for the campaign 12-2015 Whitepaper name-advertising-PPC

SFDC ID are a series of characters that look like this : 00BD0000008CNGt

So you URL will end up with &CID=00BD0000008CNGt

Another alternative would be to add a flow step in the "fills out form" campaign that will trigger on form fill out, but it would be very hard to make it work because of the combinations of values to test (both the source and the campaign).

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thanks for the response!