Re: Are you using Gainsight with your Marketo instance?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using Gainsight with your Marketo instance?

I'm interested to hear some "lessons learned" or best practices from someone who is using Gainsight with their Marketo instance. Please share. Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

Hi Christina-
I'm in the final stages of taking GS live - so I'll try to post anything that I find as "gotchas" to your post.

Thanks,
Brigid
Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Hi Brigid,

We are just getting started with our implementation.  Do you have any feedback or insight to share?

Thank you!

Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

Hi Lauren-

Couple of things -

• once they get you implemented, they do little to no CSM outreach themselves,
  • part of the engine that executes certain procedures in the app is the user that does the implementation (versus the user using the app) so be careful with what level of data access you provide to the gainsight user (might be too open or too narrow)
  • their service desk is pretty responsive
  • depending on how long your users have used SFDC, they might want to have some of the Gainsight tabs added to their primary app versus switching applications to get to those tabs
  • there is some odd constraints in their rules logic (like it doesn't tell you if you have an issue with your and/or filter combinations) so it can fail to execute and you have to go through the failure message to figure out why (versus catching it up front while building it)

Hope this helps!

Brigid

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brigid Greeway​!

Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Hi Brigid - one more question for you. (Sorry you seem to be the Marketo/Gainsight expert on here so thank you!)  Have you tokenized much using Gainsight and if so, what limitations did you find? We are hearing from Gainsight that we cannot add tokens to anything beyond the contact level which was one of our biggest expectations going into the integration. 

Brigid_Greenwa2
Level 4

Hi Lauren-

We haven't done a full blown MKTO/GS connections so not totally familiar with the tokens and to what degree they can be generated.  That being said, GS is built very much on the basic SFDC architecture so it would make sense that only values at the Contact (or maybe Account) would be available for tokens.

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if I find anything more!

Brigid

Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Thanks, Brigid.  Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Brigid! Much appreciated. We've had discussions about bringing on GS, and I'm finding very little discussion about it in the Marketo community. I've sent you an invitation to connect via LinkedIn.

Best,
Christina
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

We're also in our final stages of implementation... The first thing I'd say is that the implementation and creation of playbooks takes much longer than you would intitially anticipate. In our situation, there was a lot to think through, and although I wasn't directly involved with the implementation, I think the beginning of it was botched quite a bit.

Also, people were very quick to forget that campaigns still needed to be built out in Marketo for once they're triggered in GS. I was brought into several discussions at a later stage when it would have been helpful if I'd been there from the beginning. This might be a result of our organization having a lot of specialized segmentation, and might not be a problem everywhere. 

I'll be sure to post anything else I can think of once we get to the "triggering Marketo campaigns using GS" stage.