Re: Are hyperlinks within rich text tokens tracked properly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are hyperlinks within rich text tokens tracked properly?

I am currently setting up a webinar template so that I can go in a change only certain variables. I would like to change hyperlinked text in the email ex. Register for {{my.Webinar - Landing Page}} This would be a rich text token that reads "Webinar 10 - Creating a Better Network" with the text hyperlinked to our landing page.

In previous posts I have seen there can be problems with tracking when using tokens. I was wondering if I use a rich text token to hyperlink the text in the token to a landing page, will the link and associated clicks etc. be tracked properly?

3 REPLIES 3
Bekah_Walters
Level 2

We utilize tokens in all of our emails and we have not had issues tracking the links. I would set up a test for one of your programs and create an Email Link Performance report within the program you are testing. After the webinar, double check your report for all the links, your smart campaigns for Clicks, and your landing page visits to ensure your tokenized link is working properly. Then move forward with creating future programs like that. I hope that helps!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Wouldn't be so confident about using tokens in hyperlinks without having the rules down pat... it's actually really easy to create untracked links using either kind of token, or buttons that don't track (see Those bulletproof buttons are also *tracking*-proof, though (here's the fix)​).

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

When using non-Velocity ("email script") tokens, you ​must ​have the http(s):​// outside the token name.

In Velocity the rule is the opposite: you ​must ​output the entire <a> tag, including of course the entire href attribute with the http(s):​//.

If you follow these rules you'll be fine.