SOLVED

API To Update Email Content via Snippet Vs Custom Object + Velocity Scripting

Go to solution
bryantchang
Level 2

API To Update Email Content via Snippet Vs Custom Object + Velocity Scripting

Is there any guidance on when to use API to Update Snippet Dynamic Content vs Update Custom Object + Velocity when it comes to creating & personalizing emails?

Some things that I have noticed for both approaches,

Update Snippet Dynamic Content

• Pros - Can update snippet content directly used in emails
  • Cons - Passing HTML in API Body is messy and have run into limitations
  • Cons - Have to worry about HTML & styling outside of platform

Update via Custom Object + Velocity

• Pros - More control in platform to manage styling
  • Cons - Additional step to use Velocity
  • Cons - Segmentation/Personalization Limitations. Have to get creative for personalization
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: API To Update Email Content via Snippet Vs Custom Object + Velocity Scripting

I would always go with Velocity.

A universal design principle is to separate data from presentation. So you store the data in a CO and then bend/fold/flip/rotate the presentation in Velocity any way you want, making on-the-fly, even per-person changes.

Also, in what way does Velocity have segmentation/personalization limitations? It’s more like the opposite: Velocity can use traditional segmentations and also apply infinite additional logic.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Re: API To Update Email Content via Snippet Vs Custom Object + Velocity Scripting

I would always go with Velocity.

A universal design principle is to separate data from presentation. So you store the data in a CO and then bend/fold/flip/rotate the presentation in Velocity any way you want, making on-the-fly, even per-person changes.

Also, in what way does Velocity have segmentation/personalization limitations? It’s more like the opposite: Velocity can use traditional segmentations and also apply infinite additional logic.

bryantchang
Level 2

Thanks for the clarification.

Are you able to use segments in the script itself?

Any good articles or documentation on using segments & velocity?

My assumption on the limitations were based on needing to apply segmentations separately.

Here is my use case,

Segments

• Registered member of community and subscribed to specific topic
  • Registered member of community and not subscribed to specific topic
  • Not registered member of community and should be subscribed to specific topic

Dynamic content

• Show specific topics and participate in topic
  • Show specific topics and drive subscription to topic
  • Show specific topics and drive registration & subscription to topic

I was updating CO's based on content related to specific topic and apply segments to determine CTA of,

• Participate in topic
  • Subscribe to topic
  • Join Community, subscribe to topic

Any recommendations?

SanfordWhiteman

Are you able to use segments in the script itself?

Of course! The segment is a system-managed lead (person) field, you can see it in the tree in Script Editor.

Basically infinite logic can be added on top of segmentation(s) in Velocity.