SOLVED

Any reason for "Sync to SFDC" flow at end of every smart campaign?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any reason for "Sync to SFDC" flow at end of every smart campaign?

I inherited a Marketo system, and it seems that every smart campaign ends with "Sync lead to SFDC", sometimes with complex auto-assignment rules. My initial thought is that this would be counterproductive since other automation has to run before the lead's information is fully accurate and should be pushed to Salesforce, but I wanted to get some weigh in from the community before I remove the flows.

Do you see pros/cons to continuing this flow (or removing it)? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Any reason for "Sync to SFDC" flow at end of every smart campaign?

The main reason I've seen this done is to make the changes from Marketo into SFDC as real-time as possible.

As you may know, the Marketo/SFDC integration keeps both systems updated with the latest changes by checking in about every 5 minutes, and so sometimes a change made in Marketo will not be reflected in SFDC until about 5 minutes after it's updated in Marketo.

Adding the "Sync to SFDC" flow step forces Marketo to update SFDC instantly rather than waiting for the next scheduled system sync.

In my experience it's rarely necessary to do have anything done "in real time" and when I see this rule scattered throughout Marketo I often see it as a sign of insecurity by admin in the Marketo/SFDC integration itself. At some point the admin probably made a data update in Marketo, went to look to the change in Salesforce, didn't see it, didn't wait long enough to see it, and then tried the whole thing again with the "Sync to SFDC" in the flow - and it worked! And so decided that "Just to be safe, I'm going to add a Sync to SFDC flow step to every campaign."

Having said that - I don't know anything about the specific requirements that your past admin might have had at the time- I'm just speculating based on what I've seen other companies do.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

The main reason I've seen this done is to make the changes from Marketo into SFDC as real-time as possible.

As you may know, the Marketo/SFDC integration keeps both systems updated with the latest changes by checking in about every 5 minutes, and so sometimes a change made in Marketo will not be reflected in SFDC until about 5 minutes after it's updated in Marketo.

Adding the "Sync to SFDC" flow step forces Marketo to update SFDC instantly rather than waiting for the next scheduled system sync.

In my experience it's rarely necessary to do have anything done "in real time" and when I see this rule scattered throughout Marketo I often see it as a sign of insecurity by admin in the Marketo/SFDC integration itself. At some point the admin probably made a data update in Marketo, went to look to the change in Salesforce, didn't see it, didn't wait long enough to see it, and then tried the whole thing again with the "Sync to SFDC" in the flow - and it worked! And so decided that "Just to be safe, I'm going to add a Sync to SFDC flow step to every campaign."

Having said that - I don't know anything about the specific requirements that your past admin might have had at the time- I'm just speculating based on what I've seen other companies do.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes to what Grant said.

I would consider consolidating any sync to sfdc processes into a single Lead Lifecycle system based on MQL Lead Scoring or other MQL criteria. This takes the burden off the sync and Marketo as well. There are some ideas here on that as well as my talk from the 2015 summit.