Re: Anonymous traffic Ip Analysis

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Anonymous traffic Ip Analysis

I'm trying to learn more about the anonymous traffic on my site to see if people are perhaps switching browsers on the same network where the user first becomes aware of my site on one browser but fills out a form on the site using another browser. It looks like Marketo records the ip address of anonymous traffic but only one ip can be seen at a time by going to the Web Activity Report and clicking on an individual anonymous lead. Is there a reason anonymous ip info isn't made available in the csv export? Is there any way to get this info in a mass exportable way? If not, are there alternative analysis services that will record the ip address of anonymous traffic and make it available for mass export?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Eben,

This is not a Marketo issue, it's a common web rule: IP addresses that you can see are only the address of the internet gateway of the person navigating your site or your Marketo LP. In other words, if someone navigates from home, you will get the IP address of their personal Internet gateway or box. If they navigate from the office, this will be the company's gateway. This also means that if 2 people from the same company navigate from their common office, they will have the same IP address. Furthermore, the information provided by the whois (public) databases most of the time will give you the name of the ISP, not the name of the company itself.

If you were looking at other tools (e.g analytics), you would have exactly the same result.

Marketo has stopped a while ago to provide the detailed list of anonymous leads with their IP addresses, mainly for performance reasons: only a very small percentage of them will become known leads anyway so why congest the database with this data.

You can always export the web page reports

Now, there are some database that can link an IP address with a company, and provide you with more accurate info on the anonymous visitors. Marketo is one of them with the ABM offer. But none of these products will convert 100% of your anonymous traffic. And anyone who claims they can give you names of individuals is over-promising (to remain polite ).

Some vendors will be able to offer you some email retargeting targets, meaning some email addresses of people who work for the company with the same IP address as your anonymous visitor. This is a dangerous game to play: these addresses have not opt-in for receiving emails from you and you have no guarantee that the addresses are those of the people who actually visited your web site...

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Greg - Even Marketo's own ABM product doesn't provide insight on anonymous activity (not yet at least - but the product team says it's on the roadmap).  RTP, on the other hand does (I believe).  We use DemandBase for our anonymous activity insights.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan

Yes, you are right, this it Web personalization (former RTP) that does it. My bad .

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_

Too many acronyms, Greg!

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Thanks Dan, I'll check out Demandbase. Do you know if the service would allow me to export a list of activity with the ip info?

Dan_Stevens_

You should be able to get that from DemandBase.

Eben_Shapiro
Level 3

Hey Greg,

Very interesting to hear about the email retargeting service. Kind of funny that that exists.

But just being able to group all traffic by ip address, known and anonymous, would be interesting to me. I've never run an experiment like that before, so I'm just curious to see what it would reveal. I figure I can get around the Marketo limitation by using another service that collects anonymous traffic info and joining it with data from Marketo's Activity Log Api on the ip address, and find some way to filter out the duplicate anonymous data already represented in the known traffic. If you know of any services that can export a list of activity with ip addresses, please let me know.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Eben,

There are quite a few solutions in the Launchpoint that will enable you to extract all lead data (incl. their anonymous IP addresses) + their activities. You will only get known leads though, so you'll need another solution indeed to get a handle on anonymous traffic. Globally, look into ABM solutions (incl. Marketo ABM) for combining anonymous and non anonymous traffic on 1 account.

-Greg