SOLVED

Advice: wait for CRM sync or set up email subscription center immediately?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice: wait for CRM sync or set up email subscription center immediately?

I'm implementing Marketo and I'm not sure if I should wait to build my email subscription center until I've synced with SFDC or build it now. I'm creating opt in custom fields and relating them to common email types that we send. My original plan was to have those fields created in SFDC by my admin and when the CRM connects to Marketo, the fields will be created.

Unfortunately, the CRM sync isn't happening anytime soon, so I'm debating creating the custom opt in fields in Marketo and mapping them back to SFDC later, when the sync actually occurs. I hate to have the CRM sycn hold up a lot of work.

I've implemented other MA solutions, but never Marketo. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or could it create duplicate fields when I do sync my CRM? Should I just wait?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Advice: wait for CRM sync or set up email subscription center immediately?

Hey Christina, if your goal is to have a system in place so that someone can selectively subscribe or unsubscribe from specific types of emails, then you're better off building the email preference center and worrying about duplicate fields later. While the duplicates might not look pretty and will create more of a hassle on your back-end, if you don't have an email preference center then you will be unsubscribing someone from all of your emails instead of giving them the option to remove just a single type.

If this is a business concern and/or goal to have multiple types of mailings, I would advise setting up the email preference center now in Marketo before the CRM sync occurs. My standard rule is to ensure that the customer experience is optimal, and I'll deal with the cleanup on the back-end... that's our job as marketing ops!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christina,

Hard to tell you what to do on this, as the need for subscription center can be mandated by more or less imperious business needs.

You need to know that if you create field in Marketo now, they will duplicate with CRM fields in the future when you establish the sync.

You may want to start will a simple unsubscribe form for now, and move to a more sophisticated, multiple-fields subscription center when the CRM sync is set up. A simple unsubscribe form does not ned you to create any fields and the Marketo standard unsubscribe field will synch with CRM when time comes.

-Greg

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Christina, if your goal is to have a system in place so that someone can selectively subscribe or unsubscribe from specific types of emails, then you're better off building the email preference center and worrying about duplicate fields later. While the duplicates might not look pretty and will create more of a hassle on your back-end, if you don't have an email preference center then you will be unsubscribing someone from all of your emails instead of giving them the option to remove just a single type.

If this is a business concern and/or goal to have multiple types of mailings, I would advise setting up the email preference center now in Marketo before the CRM sync occurs. My standard rule is to ensure that the customer experience is optimal, and I'll deal with the cleanup on the back-end... that's our job as marketing ops!