Re: Adding Wait Steps to an Engagement Nurture

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding Wait Steps to an Engagement Nurture

Our company wants to have a nurture campaign where each stream has two email. The leads are to enter the stream once they fill out a free asset form. The first stream has 2 emails in it, but they are not to receive the second email unless they DO NOT open the first.

If they do open the first, the second stream's transition rule will make them "Wait" for 3 days and pull them into Stream 2.

Our goal is for the lead to receive emails every 7 days unless they click or open. If they engage, we move them into the next stream and send them the new stream's email within three days.

Question 1 -

How do I implement a wait step between emails in the same stream? I want the Cadence to be every day, since leads will be filling out forms on the daily, but I want the second email to wait 7 days to evaluate whether the first email was opened and THEN send a second one.

Question 2 -

Will placing a Wait step in the Flow of the Transition rule work for the 3 days wait I mentioned above? Will the flow first wait the three days and THEN add them to the stream?

Screenshots of what i've done.
Stream 1

stream.PNG

Stream 2 Transition (pretend 3 minutes is 3 days - testing right now)

transition rule.PNG

Smart Campaign for "Wait then send v2"

Wait Smart Campaign Smart List.PNG

flow of that campaign (pretend is says 7 days)

Wait Smart Campaign Flow.PNG

very open for other processes and ideas to accomplish this.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi "Integrous"

Use smart campaigns to pause the leads in the stream is the way to do this. This cannot be done in transition rules.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We use programs (not individual emails) in our EPs. This gives us so much more flexibility to do what you're asking here. For us, it also enables us to measure success/effectiveness individually, at the program level vs. all up at the EP level - which feeds into RCE for reporting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Dan, How are your programs set up in the nurture stream? I've never tried that method, but it seems like a good idea.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Roger - As I mentioned above, we use Marketo programs instead of emails in our engagement programs.  It's very similar to using simple emails, except you're adding the smart campaign that sends out the email (within each program), instead of the email itself.  In this specific example below, anyone that responds to either of the "core content" emails will be pulled into the longer term nurture series of emails.  You can learn more in the product docs or reply back if you have any additional questions: Add Content to a Stream - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

pastedImage_1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the info Dan! This was helpful.