Re: Adding new contacts to a default program to deliver emails in same order as earlier

rohitb
Level 2

Adding new contacts to a default program to deliver emails in same order as earlier

Hi all,

Looking for your recommendations on the following scenario:

We've a default program with 5 emails which is being sent on a weekly basis every Tuesday. This program was created around 3 weeks ago so old members might have already received 3 emails out of 5.

Now, if we want to add new members to this program and want the emails to be delivered in the same order starting from email 1. How can we achieve it?

Just sharing my thought process:

• I am thinking to update the email send batch campaigns (all 5) to a reoccurrence schedule for every tuesday. 
  • On each batch campaign smart list - I'd say;Filter
    • For Email 1
      • Not was delivered Email --> Email 2 or 3 or 4 or 5
    • For Email 2
      • Was delivered Email 1
      • AND
      • Not was delivered Email --> Email 3 or 4 or 5
    • For Email 3
      • Was delivered Email 1 AND 2
      • AND
      • Not was delivered Email --> Email 4 or 5
    • and so on...

As I've already read a couple of articles on the same just trying to discuss a simplest form of solution.

Best,
Rohit Barhe
2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Adding new contacts to a default program to deliver emails in same order as earlier

This may not work as Marketo retains the email send/delivered activities only for a period of 90 days, and hence people will start receiving content starting from the email1 again after their delivered activities get purged by Marketo post 90 days. One option to get around this is by adding the people to whom the content email has been delivered to static lists and reference apt static lists in SCs to filter out the people.

The SL logic mentioned by you may also need an update for e.g. in the SC 1 you would wanna let all people who haven’t been delivered any of the 5 emails in, in SC 2 you would wanna let people who haven’t been delivered any emails apart from the 1st email in, and so on - the delivered activity can be replaced by the member of apt static list filters as discussed above.

Also, if given an option I think implementing this via an engagement program instead of a default program would make much more sense as sending the content to people in order is managed natively by the engagement programs.

EllenSchwier
Level 4

The way I have set this up before is to have one batch smart campaign for new people (can only run through the flow once) and it requests the next campaign at the end of the Flow steps. That smart campaign is triggered by being requested and ends with requesting the next smart campaign...

I primarily set it up this way because I wanted to check if someone had responded to my CTA before sending the next email. But it might also work for your needs.