Adding fields to form in landing page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding fields to form in landing page

We are sending emailers for a event where my company will participate. We want attendees to fill the form which we are creating in Marketo, with field like preferred timeslot for the meeting in addition to other standard fields. Have couple of queries.

1) My understanding is when someone gets email through marketo and they click on a link which opens a form/landing page in marketo, whatever information they provide is updated in the same marketo database. So lets say I sent email to David Smith, he clicks on the link in email. On the landing page there is a form where we ask for First Name, Last Name, Email and lets say company name. When David fills the information and submits the data, this will update the "same" record of David in our database. Is this correct ???

2) I want a field on the form Preferred Time Slot, which is not standard marketo field. This means we need to create a custom field and then we can add that field on the form. Is this the rightway to do, because as such Preferred Time Slot is not a information I need for this person always. It is just for this specific event.

Wanted to know the best practices, so we can design our system accordingly.

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Adding fields to form in landing page

When David fills the information and submits the data, this will update the "same" record of David in our database. Is this correct ???

It is correct... if (a) they do not change the Email value and (b) you have not blocked field updates for those fields.

If the fields already have values and updates are blocked, the values on the form will not update their record (that's what blocking means).

If the Email is changed, that will upsert a different lead, not update the original lead's Email field.

2) I want a field on the form Preferred Time Slot, which is not standard marketo field. This means we need to create a custom field and then we can add that field on the form. Is this the rightway to do, because as such Preferred Time Slot is not a information I need for this person always. It is just for this specific event..

It is not necessarily the best practice, but it is probably the most common practice.

You're right to be concerned about such event-specific preference fields proliferating as your instance grows.

A more scalable way to accomplish the same is to have a reusable field that is only used to update Program or Static List membership and/or create Interesting Moments (after which it can be cleared and reused for later events). You can also copy the field value to a history field (a separate Textarea field) in a flow step before clearing it, so you keep an audit trail.

Another way that avoids repeatedly creating fields is to change the URL hash to match field values. You then constrain the Filled Out Form on the URL. This is an advanced Marketo forms technique that requires developer assistance.

But sometimes, having a field directly on the lead for an indefinite period of time (not permanent, but not super temporary either) is desirable for reporting and life cycle processing. It still has its place.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I just realized you posted in the wrong space and I shouldn't have answered here. Please move the thread to Products​ (Move link will be at the right) to continue.  This isn't a support space, it's for discussing the Champs incentive program itself. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Moved it.

Thanks,

Ashish Nathani

Vice President – Partner Engagement, APAC

+91 98202 10585/ashish.nathani@cyberinc.com