Re: Adding field validation rules

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding field validation rules

Is there a way to add/customize field entry validation rules?
I'm using Japanese characters. Some Japanese characters can be entered single width or double width - they are the same character (see the attached image). To avoid duplicate entries, I would like to prevent single width Japanese characters from being entered into the system (from the web browser and from imports). This is typical in most Japanese system so I would like to add this validation rules to Marketo as well.

Welcome any suggestion on how to do this. I can use "Change Data Value" but doing this on each name is too time consuming.
0EM50000000QYiT.jpg
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Imports would require customization as that would be primarily done on the server side.

The simplest solution for form fill out is a JavaScript to validate content before it is submitted. 

Adding custom validation to a Marketo form before submitting it

You will need to adapt the validation scripts to normalise single width and double width using jQuery string functions, perhaps expanding the single width ones to compare like-for-like.

http://jquerybyexample.blogspot.com/2012/06/jquery-string-functions.html

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. As you replied, I can I can just add my js conversion routine to my custom forms to convert alphanumeric from double width to single width and kana characters from single character to double characters. I was wondering if there was any way to extract invalid entries from the Lead Database "Lead" page. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option to extract invalid entries from the Lead Database "Lead" page would be SOAP API getMultipleLeads, setting lastUpdatedAt from the date you noticed the single characters.

A short PHP or Java program would loop through each line, parse first and last name based on the position of preceeding comma (evaluated from column headers)  and convert kana characters from single character to double characters.

You can then either re-upload using the regular Import feature or SOAP API syncMultipleleads.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or do an export and read the data into Excel and do the conversion and import it back in. Will put this in potential ToDo list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to deal with a somewhat similar situation. Attempted to follow this link, but I'm receiving an error message.

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KyxoCAC

Is there an updated link?
Anonymous
Not applicable

All articles containing custom code are being moved to the "Resources" section. 

Fortunately I have the habit of copying the entire title. I have found the new URL:

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoResource?id=kA650000000Gtt6CAC

The URL reflects the change from MarketoArticle to MarketoResource.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent, thank you!