Add to Campaign & couple questions - REST API specific

xceled
Level 2

Add to Campaign & couple questions - REST API specific

Hello,

I'm trying to replicate the closest thing to the "Add to Campaign" MSI feature in Dynamics CRM via the REST API. We don't plan to use the MSI feature from Marketo.

It looks like one way to accomplish this is to have a Smart Campaign set with a SmartList containing a "Member of List" filter with a list created specifically for that campaign. Then in response to someone requesting we add a lead to a campaign, I would then add them to that list. So on next run of the campaign, that lead would be in "Qualified People" for that campaign and run the flows from the campaign on that lead. 

I was unable to find any way via the API to add a Lead directly to a Smart Campaign. Is is a correct understanding that doing this directly via the API is not an option?

In the campaign configuration page, there is also a "View Campaign Members" button. Which shows Campaign Members tab and Qualified People tab. I can't figure out what results in leads being populated in the "Campaign Members" tab, but my above REST approach does seem to result in them showing up in the "Qualified People" tab. What is the "Campaign Members" tab for and what determines when leads show up there?

Please let me know if you have any other insight related to implementing this type of functionality.

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Add to Campaign & couple questions - REST API specific

In the campaign configuration page, there is also a "View Campaign Members" button. Which shows Campaign Members tab and Qualified People tab. I can't figure out what results in leads being populated in the "Campaign Members" tab, but my above REST approach does seem to result in them showing up in the "Qualified People" tab. What is the "Campaign Members" tab for and what determines when leads show up there?

The way you become a Member of Campaign is by entering the campaign at least once. It sounds like you’re confusing this somewhat with Member of Program.

xceled
Level 2

I'll test again, I ran the campaign manually once with a given lead in the qualified people tab and I didn't see the Lead become a member. Will retry to see if I missed something. Maybe its not instant.

My question isn't related to Programs.

Let me know if you have any thoughts about the other questions posed in my above question. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

My question isn't related to Programs.

It is implicitly about Programs. You said:

I'm trying to replicate the closest thing to the "Add to Campaign" MSI feature in Dynamics CRM via the REST API. We don't plan to use the MSI feature from Marketo.

Campaigns in Dynamics and in SFDC map to Marketo Programs. Not to Marketo Campaigns.

That’s why you don’t have an option to “Add to Campaign” in Marketo, it’s not a thing. A person can qualify for a campaign’s Smart List, but they are never “added“ as a standalone action.

xceled
Level 2

Okay, so it sounds like I may have a misunderstanding of how the "Add To Campaign" function works in MSI. The name add to campaign specifically did not seem to be related to programs in Marketo but perhaps it is. So when I use that function in say Dynamics, it actually adds the Lead to a program that the campaign is a part of?

SanfordWhiteman

So when I use that function in say Dynamics, it actually adds the Lead to a program that the campaign is a part of?

It’s adding them to a Microsoft Campaign. Which is something that can be acted on in Marketo. But it’s not related to Marketo Campaigns.

xceled
Level 2

When you say Microsoft Campaign, do you mean a record in Dynamics or some entity in Marketo? I have two campaigns available currently in the "Add to Marketing Campaign' MSI dialog but they are not also records in the native Dynamics "Campaign" entity. In fact their names match up to <Program>.<Campaign> records in Marketo. 

SanfordWhiteman

OK, there are 2 different features being intermingled here:

1. Add to Microsoft Campaign
  2. Add to Marketing Campaign

The campaigns in your dropdown for (2) would be your Request-able Campaigns (Smart Campaigns that include a Campaign is Requested trigger). After the campaign is requested in the context of a lead, they'll technically be a member.

But "Add to Marketing Campaign" is an unfortunate misnomer here. The idea behind this feature is that the campaign is requested, but it’s steps in the  SC Flow that subsequently add the person to a program (or perform any other Marketo action, including directly sending an email, calling a webhook, adding to a list, and so on). 

Merely being a Member of Smart Campaign is rarely, if ever, actionable in Marketo. It's principally an audit trail — a log of past action, not a spur to action — and it's only known after the fact. On contrast, membership in a Program, List, or (at a point in time) Smart List is how we qualify people for marketing efforts.

xceled
Level 2

Okay, so that's interesting. So as far as you know, the MSI "Add to Marketo Campaign" functionality will essentially only do a "RequestCampaign" API call to that campaign with that lead?

If so, assuming the following:

1. The campaign had a recurring schedule
  2. Had qualification rules to allow a person to go through the flow more than once

Would it be correct then to say that any leads who only triggered the campaign due to MSI "Add to Marketo Campaign", that they would not go through the flows again? Essentially, does a one-time trigger via RequestCampaign, allow them to be qualified in future runs of the campaign?

SanfordWhiteman

Okay, so that's interesting. So as far as you know, the MSI "Add to Marketo Campaign" functionality will essentially only do a "RequestCampaign" API call to that campaign with that lead?

Right.

If so, assuming the following:
  1. The campaign had a recurring schedule
  2. Had qualification rules to allow a person to go through the flow more than once

Would it be correct then to say that any leads who only triggered the campaign due to MSI "Add to Marketo Campaign", that they would not go through the flows again? Essentially, does a one-time trigger via RequestCampaign, allow them to be qualified in future runs of the campaign?

A trigger campaign doesn’t have a recurring schedule.

Every time it’s triggered, they’d go through the flow.