Re: Add Snippet to Email Template?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add Snippet to Email Template?

We're just moving over to Marketo and one of the things we're getting stuck with is adding common info to our email templates. Examples of this would be our address and disclaimer in the footer of the email, which is common across every template.

It doesn't look like there's a token to get this info and we created a couple of snippets, but I don't see any examples for how to add those into an email template. Is it possible to use a snippet in an email template?

Thanks for your help!
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Snippets are suitable for emails, not email templates.

While technically you could take the snippet code from a page source and paste into a template that is going to defeat the primary purpose of snippets. 

Just out of curiosity: what is the use case for using the snippet code in an email template?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. We're coming over from MailChimp so one of the features we had was tags that we could drop into the footer of our emails to add in our address and a little disclaimer saying why the user received the email. Now these are common elements across all of our templates, which could end up being 10 or more templates. So I can add this info manually to each of our templates, but if we move offices or want to tweak the disclaimer then I have to edit 10 templates. So if I could use snippets that would be amazing!

The term 'snippet' makes it sound like a piece of text that I can drop anywhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Snippets are indeed a “piece of text that I can drop anywhere” in the email, not the template.

Lego blocks are good analogy. The email template is the base building block. You then build all other parts on top of it, snippets included.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's unfortunate. This would be great functionality to have with the templates though. I'm sure a lot of clients have common elements across their templates and it would be good to have a central spot where they could manage those snippets of code instead of making duplicate copies everywhere.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can set the email header and footer at template level. That would be applied to all emails based off that template, avoiding the duplication of elements.

It is likely we are visualising the same idea from different perspectives.

I am rewinding my thinking. What is the primary goal? If that is an email footer, say, containing the company address, phone, email and website, that information is suitable for a template. Theer would be no need to drop the same snippet over and over again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can have a single template and it has a common footer. And that template is used in many emails. Now I can change that template and it will update those emails.

Now say I have four templates with various layouts, but they all share the same footer. At this point is say our address changed I would need to edit all four templates. Now if I could include a snippet in the template, then I could simply edit the snippet and it would auto-update all emails that used any of those four templates.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks fro clarifyng. That is an excellent candidate for the "Ideas" section.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see this functionality as well. I've created an idea for this:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoIdeaDetail?id=08750000000K0R4AAK 
Anonymous
Not applicable

My work around was to add a token in the template. For example:

{{my.company_address}}

It won't look right in the template but as long as the program variable is set where the email exists then it will work.  So that we can have global tokens we stuck all our existing folders/programs into one folder.