A/B testing timing for trigger campaign

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

A/B testing timing for trigger campaign

I am a little stumped on the best way to do this. I am setting up an abandoned cart campaign and want to test when to send the email, 3 days and 10 days following the date they abandon (I know these time frames sound long, but this is appropriate for our audience). I think I'm going to have to have two separate campaigns, but what's the best way to ensure that people only end up in one campaign or the other?

16 REPLIES 16
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: A/B testing timing for trigger campaign

Hi Elizabeth,

You could have a campaign with a 3 day wait step, then a Send Email flow step with a choice like "If Status is "purchased" > do nothing" and default Send Email.  Then you'd have another wait step of 7 days, and another Send Email flow step with the same choice.  That way there's only one campaign, and is their status changes during the wait, then they won't get the email.

John

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You may have to have two separate emails in this case, otherwise the report will show the same email and confuse the data.

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

I think you're right. What would you suggest for making sure they are only in one campaign?

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Elizabeth,

I think Josh was suggesting two different emails in one campaign.  One email for the 3 day send, and one for the 10 day send.  Then you'll be able to track more easily how many of each email is going out.  This can still be done using a single campaign and the flow I suggested earlier.

John

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

Oh, ok I get it. But i don't want to send everyone both emails. I only want to send one email at 3 days to 50% of the people, and at 10 days ot the other 50%. But since it's based on a trigger, I'm not sure what I should be doing.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Ahhh, ok.  So you're wanting to try sending emails to some leads after 3 days of having abandoned their cart, and some after 10 days to see which gets more people to return?  I understand now.  I though you wanted leads to get one at 3 and 10 as a sort of double reminder.

In this case, the normal A/B testing methods won't work because of the difference in timing.  What I would suggest instead is having one campaign that detects when they've abandoned their cart, and then 50/50 randomly calls either a campaign for a 3 day reminder or a campaign for a 10 day reminder.

Campaign 1

Smart List

(Triggers/Filters to identify leads you want to target)

Flow

Request Campaign flow step

Add choice (If Random Sample is 50) > Request 3 Day Campaign

Default Choice > Request 10 day Campaign

3 Day Campaign

Smart List

Campaign Is Requested trigger

Flow

Wait 3 days

Send Email

(Add choice for Lead Status) If Status is "Abandoned" > Send 3 Day Email

Default > Do Nothing

10 Day Campaign

Smart List

Campaign Is Requested trigger

Flow

Wait 10 days

Send Email

(Add choice for Lead Status) If Status is "Abandoned" > Send 10 Day Email

Default > Do Nothing

Elizabeth_Balle
Level 2

Ok, I like this. Question though, if this is spanning several weeks, how do we know that it's going to go 50% to each of the campaigns? If it's triggered, then only one person goes through the flow at a time, right?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Elizabeth, one way to do this with a single campaign would be as outlined below. Basically everyone goes into the campaign and they're either sent the email or nothing happens, if they were sent the email they're removed, wait 7 days and then if they're still in the campaign they'll receive the 10 day email.

As Josh suggested, I would recommend two different emails so you can see performance of both. And you can review completed sales to see if the person received the first email or the second email.

pastedImage_0.png

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Also, you'd probably want another remove from flow step before both the 3 and 10 day sends in case they've purchased