SOLVED

A/B Test Not Deploying to Full List After Winner Declared?

Go to solution
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

A/B Test Not Deploying to Full List After Winner Declared?

Hi Everyone,

Relatively new to Marketo and someone on my team encountered a strange issue.

We set up an email to deploy with a subject line test, defined the test audience, criteria, and timing of the test.  The test emails deployed no problem, but the remainder of the list who were supposed to receive the winner never got an email deployed to them.

My thought is that perhaps the settings in the campaign did not have it setup to automatically declare the winner and deploy, but I can't seem to find where that is located.  Would I be able to see that if I was not the one who setup the campaign?

Assistance is very much appreciated!

----

EDIT: Thanks for all of the responses!  Turns out, there was an issue with the subject lines themselves and the remainder of the audience deploy was manually aborted. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Re: A/B Test Not Deploying to Full List After Winner Declared?

Thanks for all of the responses!  Turns out, there was an issue with the subject lines themselves and the remainder of the audience deploy was manually aborted.  Totally 'intentional,' but there was a breakdown in communication about the issue!

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_Johnston
Level 8

First place to check is here to make sure it was setup correctly. Schedule the A/B Test - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

My guess is the duration was set to longer than you think. Typically people allow 2-3 days for people to open, and if that is the criteria for a winner, it can't "win" until the duration has past.

When did you send the test?

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

It was a short test as it was a semi-timely email, but the duration was set correctly.

Test was sent at 10AM (40% audience split), and winner was scheduled to deploy to the remaining 60% at 2PM, but that email never deployed.

I have a question, if another use setup the A/B test and accidentally set up the program to manually declare the winner, do you know if I would be able to see that when I log in using a different user account?  I have admin rights.

David_Gaible
Level 7

Hi Chris Wilcox​,

This might not be your case, but I've made the mistake of confusing the A/B tests (available in Email programs) with the Challenger/Champion (available in other Program types). In the Challenger/Champion testing setup, you have to declare the winner.

Helpful documentation: Email Tests - Champion/Challenger - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Another key difference is Champion/Challenger can only be used with trigger campaigns (not batch).  It sounds like this was a batch - and you used the dedicated Email Program (with built-in A/B testing) since you said 40% of your audience were already sent the emails.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Thanks for all of the responses!  Turns out, there was an issue with the subject lines themselves and the remainder of the audience deploy was manually aborted.  Totally 'intentional,' but there was a breakdown in communication about the issue!

Thanks again.