Re: πŸ—£οΈ [Mentor Rajesh Talele] 🌟 Adobe Marketo Engage Community Mentorship Program 2024 🌟

h_gold
Level 2

Re: πŸ—£οΈ [Mentor Rajesh Talele] 🌟 Adobe Marketo Engage Community Mentorship Program 2024 🌟

Hi everyone!

My name is Hannah. I work for OnBoard and eScribe, board and public meeting management software. I cut my teeth transitioning my previous organization from Pardot to Marketo in Winter 2022. I managed that instance until early 2024. It seems I might have done my job a little too well, as the company eliminated my position. I've since joined my current org and went from running a very new instance to an incredibly mature one! I've also worked in Hubspot.

Marketo can be a fickle beast, but I'm looking forward to being more confident in my wrangling of it with @Rajesh_BA@JBarrCityYearHQ , @ekang89 , and @kami ! My org is also quite pleased I've jumped into getting the Marketo Engage Professional certification, as it's one of my goals for the year.

I actually came across a question in my work this week I'd like to pose to the group. When creating a trigger campaign and using the "Data Value Changes" trigger, how does Marketo read a "Previous Value: X" and "New Value: Y; Z"? The real-world context is we are looking for an opportunity stage to go from Previous Value: Meeting Scheduled to New Value: Meeting Held OR Discovery.

My LinkedIn is here!

Looking forward to connecting! 

Best,

Hannah

Rajesh_Talele
Level 2

Hi Hanna,

Welcome to the thread.

I love the first question...

Your question was,

When creating a trigger campaign and using the "Data Value Changes" trigger, how does Marketo read a "Previous Value: X" and "New Value: Y; Z"? The real-world context is we are looking for an opportunity stage to go from Previous Value: Meeting Scheduled to New Value: Meeting Held OR Discovery.

So when there is a 'data value' change activity such as you mentioned, Marketo 'internally' created a new entry in an 'activity' table. In that activity record, Marketo stores information such as, old value of that field, new value of that field, source of this activity (is it a flow action, form submit or API call etc), reason etc. To see all this info on a data value change, simply double click on that activity in the activity log of that person.

The 'trigger' logic actually continuously listens to this 'activity' table (internally, we as Marketo users do not have to worry about how Marketo does as such though)

Does that answer your question?

regards

Rajesh

h_gold
Level 2

Hi Rajesh,

I think you've answered my question! Let me rephrase and ensure we're clear....

Since what comes up on the activity table is old value, new field value, and source of the activity, the trigger logic can look for the old value AND match either new value to initiate the trigger from the activity table.

As I typed it out, I think that's correct! Thank you!

Rajesh_Talele
Level 2

That is correct.

This can be even used in more powerful way as such.

For example,

We can write triggered smart campaign that get triggered only when the data value change happened due to a API call and not trigger when a flow step made the data value change etc. This comes handy in many 'integrated' workflows where you have external solutions updating data in Marketo and you want to write intelligent programs in Marketo that respond to those changes.

Hope this helps

Rajesh

h_gold
Level 2

Rajesh,

That makes perfect sense! Thank you for the assistance. πŸ™‚

Rajesh_Talele
Level 2

Hi,

Do we have any questions that I can answer?

Keep them coming..

Rajesh

ngandhi
Level 1

Hi @Rajesh_Talele,

Nice to e-meet you!

This is Nandhini. I have been using Marketo for 6+ years. I work @Lenovo and managing B2B.
My responsibilities in requirement gathering, creation of email templates, handling Events, webinars set up in Marketo, and reporting.

We do not have Nuture campaigns, so I need to find my knowledge gaps where I have not been exposed or have experience. I am looking forward to the coming weeks. I haven't taken exams, this is first step which I get into it.

Regards,
Nandhini

G.Nandhini
Rajesh_Talele
Level 2

Hi Nandhini,

Nice to meet you. 

For webinars and events do you use program status values to track how the audience moves through the webinar flows?

Are these status values synched with SFDC (or other CRM you use)?

Personally, I love the framework and ability Marketo provides us to do that.

ow about scoring. Do you use those event registrations, attendance etc in your scoring logic?

regards

Rajesh