SOLVED

Enabling Sales People to 'Marketing Suspend' or Unsubscribe People

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enabling Sales People to 'Marketing Suspend' or Unsubscribe People

Hi all,

My sales team wants to be able to check a box in the lead layout that would ensure that they never get mass marketing emails. It doesn't look like you can change the unsubsribe or marketing suspended fields from SFDC. What's the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Laurie
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enabling Sales People to 'Marketing Suspend' or Unsubscribe People

Hey Laurie,

For us, there's a field in SFDC called "Email Opt Out" (it's a standard field), and that fields is mapped to the Unsubscribe field in Marketo.

Sales, or anyone in relevant departments, can check that box and those individuals will be Unsubscribed in Marketo when the next sync occurs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Laurie,

For us, there's a field in SFDC called "Email Opt Out" (it's a standard field), and that fields is mapped to the Unsubscribe field in Marketo.

Sales, or anyone in relevant departments, can check that box and those individuals will be Unsubscribed in Marketo when the next sync occurs.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Laurie,

Caleb is right about Unsubscribed.

To do Marketo suspended, I usually recommend setting up a Smart Campaign with the trigger

Campaign Is Requested by Sales Insight
Flow:
Change Data Value IS Marketing Suspended = TRUE
Wait X Days
Change Data Value IS Marketing Suspended = FALSE

be sure to name the Campaign "Marketing Suspend for X Weeks" with a description as sales will see that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh, is "Marketo Suspended" a standard MKTO trigger option or is that something custom that you created?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the Email Opt Out actually sycned back to Marketo. Great!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We created a custom SFDC field for Leads/Contacts called Opt Out Promotional Emails, but your solution sounds more elegant.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but using Unsubscribed/SFDC Email Opt Out makes it quite difficult to resubscribe a Contact/Lead for future programs, e.g., Tradeshow invites, Upselling - yes?  Or is there a flow for that?  Thanks,Lynn

Josh_Hill13

Marketing Suspended is a standard field in Marketo. It is TRUE/FALSE and is available out of the box.

Unlike Unsubscribed, Marketing Suspended DOES NOT sync to SFDC. You would have to create this in SFDC and map it or set a SFDC field and then automate the change data value whenever Marketing Suspended Changes.
Josh_Hill13

And yes, you have to create the flow I described.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't allow our sales people to update the standard unsubscribe field since they could potentially opt someone in who already opted out.  We do have like was described about as a "marketing opt out" at the account and contact levels for sales to update.  I exclude that in all email campaigns.  There are some cases when the sales person gets the response to opt out so I give them a form to do this.  Because I have found that leads will opt themself out then back in by submitting multiple times, I have created a form and sales insight campaign that not only unsubscribes but also blacklists.  This way they really won't get another email 🙂