Due to the way Excel handles CSV files with unicode data, you need to follow these steps for importing the file into Marketo as UTF-8 data:
- Set up your Excel spreadsheet properly for your import (for example, removing unnecessary columns)
- Select all the data in the spreadsheet. Copy it to the clipboard (control-c in Windows, command-c in OS X)
- Paste the data into a text editor -- Notepad in Windows, TextEdit in OS XSave the file. In the "Save As" dialog, pick the UTF-8 option in the Encoding section at the bottom of the dialog
- In TextEdit, set the file to text only using Format -> Make Plain Text before pasting
- Save the file. In the "Save As" dialog, pick the UTF-8 option in the Encoding section at the bottom of the dialog
- Import the file into Marketo as a "Tab-separated values" file
Your unicode characters should import correctly.