SOLVED

block leads/contacts from Marketo

Go to solution
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

block leads/contacts from Marketo

i need to block about 15000 contacts that are in salesforce from synching to marketo (don't want to pay for them). so i was going to add them to a SFDCcampaign called "dont' synch' and then delete the records in marketo  only then  in mareketo write a smart campaign that says if memeber of SFDC campaign "don't synch" don't synch to marketo

can this be done and will it work?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: block leads/contacts from Marketo

Another solution involves have Marketo Support set up a custom sync filter. This is a special Boolean field you create in SalesForce that Marketo can read that has a name like "Sync to Marketo". Once it syncs down to Marketo, we make a change in your back end. After that change is made, a record will only sync to Marketo if the sync filter field is set to true. This means you can delete whichever leads you need from Marketo and they will not be synced back to Marketo unless their sync filter field in SalesForce is set to "true". Does this sounds like what you are looking for? If so, please create a field that we can turn into a sync filter field for you and create a support case letting us know what you've named it.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Trish,

I can't vouch for that technique specifically, but I've done something similar, with good success. Basically there are some specific types of contacts in my SFDC database that I don't want syncing to Marketo. So I batch deleted their records in Marketo, and then set up triggers to watch for new records being created on the Salesforce end with the same criteria. So I have a smart campaign that looks for any contacts created with a specific Account Status value, and if a match is found, the record is immediately deleted (on Marketo only)

The reason you need the trigger there is because while initially deleting those contacts will remove them from Marketo, if the record is ever edited again in SFDC, it will prompt Marketo to sync the lead back.

If you don't have some sort of unique identifier to hide these contacts, you can also control what syncs back to Marketo by controlling the visibility of the account you use to sync Marketo and Salesforce. If you hide certain records from that account's view, it will not be able to sync them to Marketo. This is probably the cleanest solution, but takes some prep work ahead of time to determine what your sync account can and cannot see.

Anonymous
Not applicable

[redacted]
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another solution involves have Marketo Support set up a custom sync filter. This is a special Boolean field you create in SalesForce that Marketo can read that has a name like "Sync to Marketo". Once it syncs down to Marketo, we make a change in your back end. After that change is made, a record will only sync to Marketo if the sync filter field is set to true. This means you can delete whichever leads you need from Marketo and they will not be synced back to Marketo unless their sync filter field in SalesForce is set to "true". Does this sounds like what you are looking for? If so, please create a field that we can turn into a sync filter field for you and create a support case letting us know what you've named it.
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

Thanks Charles but how do new contacts and leads get the True turned on when added to SFDC?
wouldn't jeff's suggestion work the same as mine jsut that instead of a field filter it is a member of campaign filter?

also i subscribed to this discussion but never got any emails when you all posted. do i need to set up something to make this happen?
Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Trish - unfortunately your described method won't work - a smart campaign can stop leads syncing from Marketo to SFDC, but not the other way around. The lead would actually have to come into Marketo through the sync to activate the campaign, so the point of your campaign is lost. YOu could delete it once it got there, but not prevent it coming through the sync.

Is there anything all these records have in common that we could filter off using SFDC sharing rules and simply block Marketo's access to them? As Jeff says, Marketo only syncs data the Marketo sync user can see, so by literally preventing the sync user from seeing them, they will stop syncing. You could then delete the records out of Marketo. Is this a possibility?

Also something some users have done is create a custom field that kind of mimics the custom sync filter suggested above. Basically you have a custom field checkbox called "Sync to Marketo". If true then allow the sync user to see them through sharing rules, if false don't. Whenever you create a lead or contact record in SFDC you'd need to make sure this checkbox was marked as true or false.
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

thanks Veronica- i just came back to ask if what you reccomend would work! great timing. instead of a sharing rule i was just going to write a smart campaign but i will see if i can figure out how to set sharinng rules
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

Veronica are you talking about hiding field from the marketo sync profile i sfdc? none of our users are using that profile so not sure what you mean by sync user?

also i see how i can make fields not visible (check box yes or no)  i see lead and contact sharing rules based on critieria but no option to choose to not share with a particular profile.

Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

Charles, can the field i sfdc just be a true false field.? can i not set up the filter to not synch based on that field data myself or does support need to do on back end. i ask because i prefer to have tht control in case we decide to turn it off and let them synch again
Veronica_Holme4
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi - the Marketo sync user is the user whose details have been used to set up the Marketo sync. I don't know without looking at your system whether you have set up a user in Salesforce that is dedicated to the sync, or if you are running the sync off an existing SFDC user - doing the former (a dedicated sync user license) gives you more flexibility when making changes to that users profile to guide the sync.

You won't be able to use sharing rules for a profile, but you can choose to share with a particular public group, and if you build a group that contains ONLY the Marketo sync user, you'll be able to build sharing rules that share to that particular user. Does that make sense?