Successful naming conventions for programs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Successful naming conventions for programs?

We are looking to establish a program naming convention that is descriptive and a person can hold to when creating a program?

Does anyone have ones that are successful and upheld to by their whole marketing team?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Successful naming conventions for programs?

Since you can store programs in folders, you may want to also include that in your planning.  Below are a few of the folder names we use to organize our programs.
  • Alerts
    • Admin
    • Sales
  • Customer Success
  • Data Management
  • Inbound Marketing
    • SEM
    • Social Media
  • Interesting Moments
  • Marketing Metrics
  • Nurturing
  • Outbound Marketing
    • Ads
    • Content Syndication
    • Emails
    • Events
  • Revenue Model
  • Sales Insight Emails
  • Scoring
  • Website Content
    • Case Studies
    • Contact Me
    • Datasheets
    • Presentations
If you synch your programs with SFDC campaigns, Salesforce doesn't provide folders, just views.  Also program and campaign names in Marketo are by default sorted by name in the tree view, so you should consider this as well.  Below are a couple of conventions we follow in naming our programs.
  • For short lived programs, we use the format "2013 Q1 - [short descriptive program name], so that we can easily find these based on their chronology. 
  • For programs that are long lived (e.g. website content), we use the format "[category] - [short descriptive program name] (e.g. Whitepaper - xxxxx, Natural Search - xxx, Paid Search - xxx, etc.).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott's system will work well. You can also take a look at other suggestions I've compiled here:
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/naming-and-organization-in-marketo-310/
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used such naming conventions in the past, but sr. manager was thinking of using a name convention that was even more "formatted"

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like using the date and type:

Q1-2013-Webinar-Getting-Started
Q1-2013-Tradeshow-Mac-World
Q1-2013-Email-Newsletter-16Jan
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the naming convention that has worked well for me:

EM 2013-07-15 (July Newsletter)
WR 2013-07-15 (Proudct A Webinar)
CS 2013-07-15 (Customer B Case Study)

The reason I recommend this naming convention is because these Programs will organize themseleves chronologically by type.