SOLVED

Writing custom reports

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Writing custom reports

Are there any 3rd party tools that allow me to write more sophisticated custom reports that anyone can recommend?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Writing custom reports

In SFDC:
Why not use campaigns in Salesforce.com to do this? yes, you won't be able to correct old converted leads, but at least you'll have it from now on...

You can then put rollup summary fields on the campaign that count how many of each flavor of rating you have, and then even formula fields for % of total. Those fields in turn can be put in reports and dashboards to show campaign profiles by rating mix.

With the latest release, you can even put a pie chart directly on the campaign page showing % of each rating impacted by the campaign.

In Marketo:
Try using the report type "Leads by Campaign" and then add Custom Columns" where each column is a smartlist based on your rating, eg "Leads Rated A", "Leads Rated B", etc. You'll then have a list of programs as rows, and # of leads by rating as columns.

Here's a quick and dirty mockup:
0EM50000000R737.jpg

Otherwise you're looking at another data warehouse system to support - GoodData and other BI solutions.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phil,

I am not sure if this will help but I visited this company called Good Data http://www.gooddata.com/ during Marketo Summit and they seem to have some tools to load data from Marketo and be able to analyze the data in their enviornment.

I would also really like to know more about this. Appreciate any inputs.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are lots of different analytics tools out there - and it really depends on what type of reporting you're looking for.

Can you be more specific?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its actually pretty straight forward - and pretty annoying that I cannot do this easily in Marketo. 

For each program I simply want a list of members with some custom SalesForce Lead Fields summarized - its like a simple cross tab report. 

I could do it very quickly in Excel in a pivot table - if I can export all the proram member data easily.

If I can dump the data into a SQLDatabase I can use a conventional SQL Reporting tool. 

Are there any tools that can export Marketo Data directly to a database - or even CSV in a worse case?

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of Marketo data are you cross referencing with Salesforce fields? Can you give me an example?

I ask because there might be either:
  • a way to do it in Marketo
  • a way to do it in Salesforce.com with appropriate Marketo data synced over
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a custom lead field called "Lead Quality Rating" which our sales guys use to rate each of the incomming leads. There are 5 values in that field - for simplicity - lets say they are : (A, B,C,D,E) - what I want is a report that shows for each Program how many A's do I have (numberic and as a percentage)  - same for B's, C's etc.

SalesFOrce has a horrible old problem that once a lead has been converted to an opportunity you cannot "correct" old lead data - so in this case I have several instances where the Sales Team did not complete this correctly. Anyway - its a problem doing this reporting from inside SaleForce - which I have tried many times.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In SFDC:
Why not use campaigns in Salesforce.com to do this? yes, you won't be able to correct old converted leads, but at least you'll have it from now on...

You can then put rollup summary fields on the campaign that count how many of each flavor of rating you have, and then even formula fields for % of total. Those fields in turn can be put in reports and dashboards to show campaign profiles by rating mix.

With the latest release, you can even put a pie chart directly on the campaign page showing % of each rating impacted by the campaign.

In Marketo:
Try using the report type "Leads by Campaign" and then add Custom Columns" where each column is a smartlist based on your rating, eg "Leads Rated A", "Leads Rated B", etc. You'll then have a list of programs as rows, and # of leads by rating as columns.

Here's a quick and dirty mockup:
0EM50000000R737.jpg

Otherwise you're looking at another data warehouse system to support - GoodData and other BI solutions.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I'll take a look at the Marketo Leads by Campaign report.

As a matter of interest - are there any bulk export tools I could use to export the data to an external data source?

Phil
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know of a way to bulk export the type of data you would likely need to run your reports in Excel. That doesn't mean there isn't a way though.

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phil,

You can use Marketo SOAP API's to export information to an external data source.

http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDeepDive?id=kA5500000008QN3CAM

A
dditionally talk to support and see if they can setup a custom export to an FTP server from where your data source can pull.