Why does marketo add the mce_style tag in css?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does marketo add the mce_style tag in css?

Hello,

I have a landing page that has a bolded paragraph at the top which shows up blurry in Internet Explorer 8 but looks great in Firefox. I noticed that Marketo added "mce_style" to the inline CSS. Two questions. 1) What does mce_style mean and do for the bolded paragraph and 2) is that the reason that the paragraph appears blurry in IE8 or could there be another reason?

For reference, here is the code:

<P><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: helvetica" _mce_style="font-family: helvetica;"><STRONG><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 16px" _mce_style="font-size: 16px;">QA2 NON-BLURRY -- Thank you for your interest in Fisher Investments, we know your time is valuable. At Fisher Investments, we strive to keep our marketing and information as relevant as possible.</SPAN></SPAN></STRONG></P>

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Mike
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does marketo add the mce_style tag in css?

Hi Mike,

I could be wrong, but I believe the MCE code is for Marketo's editor - and shouldn't have anything to do with how the content appears on the final page.

Do you have an example of the blurry paragraph? Helvetica is not a Windows-friendly font. Your font-family should be:
"font:-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

I had a similar blurry experience with IE8 a few weeks ago, but it had nothing to do with the MCE tag.
Can you give me the live link of the lading page? So I can take a look at it.

P.s. Marketo uses TintMCE as the what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor. This tool also adds his own styles so it is better in displaying properly within the editor. These tags won't show up when a page is live.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be nice to have an option to turn off this WYSIWYG tool on per-user bases, because bloating up an otherwise clean and elegant HTML is an atrocity. Too bad Marketo won't listen.