SOLVED

Re: Where to Build Tokens?

Go to solution
Derek_Gunn1
Level 1

Where to Build Tokens?

Hi All,

My question is about best practice for housing of tokens. When is it better to create them at the program vs. campaign level? Is there ever a need to create them at higher levels? Thank you for the help! Sorry if this is in the wrong space, new to all things Marketo.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

If it's a token that's going to be used regularly (ie: your company address, LinkedIn profile, etc), you would put that in the highest folder available so it trickles down to all of your Programs. I've created a "Universal" folder that houses everything for this purpose and it works great - we just moved offices and I only had to change our address in one place because all my templates are tokenized.

Tokens that are specific to a Program (ie: article text, header image, etc) are best created, then, at the Program level.

Edward Unthank has a really good post about using tokens here: Marketo Tokens: Ins and Outs

He also had an amazing session at Summit 2015, where I basically stole the idea for a Universal folder. Definitely worth checking out: Sessions – The Marketing Nation Summit, April 13-15, 2015 – Marketo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Derek,

You can create them at folder level or at program level, but not ar campaign level.

The ones you want to share amongst programs should be set at folder level. The level you are going to set them depends on the scope you want to use them.

Setting them at a high level is also useful to set defaults values for the tokens, since you can then override the values at lower level.

also, vote here:

-Greg

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

If it's a token that's going to be used regularly (ie: your company address, LinkedIn profile, etc), you would put that in the highest folder available so it trickles down to all of your Programs. I've created a "Universal" folder that houses everything for this purpose and it works great - we just moved offices and I only had to change our address in one place because all my templates are tokenized.

Tokens that are specific to a Program (ie: article text, header image, etc) are best created, then, at the Program level.

Edward Unthank has a really good post about using tokens here: Marketo Tokens: Ins and Outs

He also had an amazing session at Summit 2015, where I basically stole the idea for a Universal folder. Definitely worth checking out: Sessions – The Marketing Nation Summit, April 13-15, 2015 – Marketo

Derek_Gunn1
Level 1

Thank you everyone! Very helpful!