SOLVED

When sending an email to leads from Salesforce or other CRM, why are some leads qualified and others are not when added to the Smart List?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

When sending an email to leads from Salesforce or other CRM, why are some leads qualified and others are not when added to the Smart List?

We are new to Marketo and Citizen Schools and still working on internal test emails. In a simple email program set to go to a group of 7 employees pulled into a Smart  List from Salesforce, only some of them show up as "qualified." Why?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When sending an email to leads from Salesforce or other CRM, why are some leads qualified and others are not when added to the Smart List?

It could be a variety of factors.
  • The lead is unsubscribed and the email you are sending is not checked as being "Operational"
  • The lead has its Email Invalid field checked.
  • The lead has its Marketing Suspended field checked
  • The Qualification Rule is set to "Run each lead through the campaign flow: [only once or only once every...]" and the lead has run through the campaign already and/or within the limit period

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When sending an email to leads from Salesforce or other CRM, why are some leads qualified and others are not when added to the Smart List?

It could be a variety of factors.
  • The lead is unsubscribed and the email you are sending is not checked as being "Operational"
  • The lead has its Email Invalid field checked.
  • The lead has its Marketing Suspended field checked
  • The Qualification Rule is set to "Run each lead through the campaign flow: [only once or only once every...]" and the lead has run through the campaign already and/or within the limit period
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend creating a smart list called Marketable that is defined:

Email Address is not empty
Unsubscribed = False
Email Invalid = False
Blacklist = False
Marketing Suspend = False

Use that list as part of the smart lisf for all your outbound campaigns to limit the number of unqulified leads showing in the schedule tab. 

The scenario that would be left showing up would be Elliott's last bullit point. 
Qualification Rules are a great tool.  They are asking "How many times is Jane Doe allowed to go through this campaign?"

Hope that helps. 

I find it keeps reporting cleaner for all outbound email efforts. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with Janet.  We have an "Email Exclude" list with these criteria and a few others (e.g. Lead Status is not "Gone" or "Bogus Info" or Competitor").  Then we include a "Member of Smart List is not Email Exclude" filter in all of our email smart campaign smart lists.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! This is helpful. I am still a bit confused about what is going wrong. We create a list of 7 employees that are working on launching Marketo for our organization. In my program I selected that list for the email to be sent to. I got the message that "this will effect approximately 7 leads". All of the leads (employees at my company) are in our Salesforce database which is where we pulled them from. Only 5 of the 7 in the list actually recieved the email. Why would that be?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the Activity Log have a "Email was Delivered" activity for the two that didn't receive the email?  If so, then it may have gone into their Junk folder in Outlook (if that's what you are using).  I have employees that this happens to periodically, so I just have them mark the email as "Not Junk", which whitelists my email address in their Outlook client and the emails don't go into their Junk folder any more.