SOLVED

What record gets updated when a duplicate fills out a form?

Go to solution
Chris_Strom
Level 1

What record gets updated when a duplicate fills out a form?

We have a few cases where we need to store duplicates (same email address) in Marketo to sync them separately with our CRM.

My question is;  what is the logic behind which of these the activity is recorded on when that duplicate email is used to fill out a form? Is it most recently updated, created or something else? I couldn't quite find the answer from testing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avictor
Level 2

Re: What record gets updated when a duplicate fills oIf a lead that exists in Marketo moreut a form?

If a lead that exists in Marketo more than once and fills out a form, if a cookie exists on the machine they're using, the form filled will be attributed to whatever lead is associated with the cookie. If not, it will be attributed to the lead that was updated most recently in Marketo, and of course, then the lead would be cookies. You could read more here - https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Marketo-Whisperer-Blogs/The-Unintended-Consequences-of-Duplicates-in-M...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Priyank_Joshi3
Level 6

Re: What record gets updated when a duplicate fills out a form?

I would suggest to merge the records so that record's activity log gets preserved. 

avictor
Level 2

Re: What record gets updated when a duplicate fills oIf a lead that exists in Marketo moreut a form?

If a lead that exists in Marketo more than once and fills out a form, if a cookie exists on the machine they're using, the form filled will be attributed to whatever lead is associated with the cookie. If not, it will be attributed to the lead that was updated most recently in Marketo, and of course, then the lead would be cookies. You could read more here - https://nation.marketo.com/t5/Marketo-Whisperer-Blogs/The-Unintended-Consequences-of-Duplicates-in-M...

Chris_Strom
Level 1

Thank you!