What is the best way to track how a visitor gets to my website?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the best way to track how a visitor gets to my website?

We have a few different 3rd party websites that advertise our company with our logo and a link to our website.  What is the best way using Marketo to report on which 3rd party website they are getting to our website from and what link they clicked?  Will a munchkin track what link they clicked to get to our website?  Do I need a landing page with a hidden field?  Or am I plain lost?

Any help would be great!
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the best way to track how a visitor gets to my website?

Hey Bryant,

What pages are you utilizing on the 3rd party website? Are they Marketo pages?
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3rd party website really just contains a link to our website.  No marketo page at all.  I didn't know if I could track the link or I could put a munchkin on the page they get directed too?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bryant,

You have two options here, that I really see would be quickly to implement. 

Option 1:
Google analytics has referral information, you can gather this information on a single page if you have it tracked within Google analytics. You can do a search about making sure your building a report correctly or how to navigate to get this data.

Option 2:
Create a javascript snippet on the landing page to get the referrer and pump it into a hidden field that is then pushed to Marketo when the person submits the form. The problem with this is that you might not get all referral data, and lets use this scenario. One website provides 100 clicks and only 20 convert and the other provides 300 clicks but you get 20 converts. You wouldn't be able to segment the better conversion of the other referrer.

Doing both can get you the full circle of Referrers to clicks. but having different different systems my not give you perfect numbers, but a good estimate of the overall effectiveness of each ad placement. If you're using 3rd party for hosting these ads, most of them have at least the click data.