SOLVED

What do YOU use utm fields for?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do YOU use utm fields for?

Nice, Kim. I have been thinking of how to track links. A spreadsheet with formula sounds like a very elegant solution. Very lightweight and easy to use, and also allows for simultaneous creation and management.

I see Google Tag Manager, but it sounds like overkill. Not really sure why I'd be creating tags within my web property, so I'm guessing I don't need it. Perhaps it's for retailers? Anyway, I had been wondering if it might work merely as a tag management tool. Anyone here use it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

GTM is for managing Javascript & other scripts. You could turn on & off Marketo's Munchkin code for example. Not relevant to this conversation.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you also use utm_content? It's not mentioned in Marketo's docs, but seems like it could come into play with more advanced AdWords campaigns, right?

Also, where do you go to set up custom parameters in Analytics? I assume it's something that makes a link between "sc" and "utm_source" so that Analytics will understand either one to be the source, right? I just am unclear on where that gets set up.

Thanks again for all the great help.
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

I use the utm_content for the reason below:
Used for A/B testing and content-targeted ads. Use utm_content to differentiate ads or links that point to the same URL. I also use it when I am unable to track the link clicks on an email that goes to a particular page that changes content on a daily basis.  

I'm not sure about the question below, unless you mean how do you view in Google Analytics the urls that you use parameters with: "

Also, where do you go to set up custom parameters in Analytics? I assume it's something that makes a link between "sc" and "utm_source" so that Analytics will understand either one to be the source, right? I just am unclear on where that gets set up."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Michelle. You're right. I just poked around for 20 minutes and did some searching. I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps it's no longer a function they support. Oh well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for looking, Adam. It was mentioned in that post you linked to as well (in the "best answer"). But that was from 2013.