Using Munction with Custom Object in Marketo - Translating GUIDs

Vidhi_Kare
Level 3

Using Munction with Custom Object in Marketo - Translating GUIDs

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are safe & well!

We are actually finding a way to translate GUIDs to user friendly value & I am totally aware that is already in ideas list for many of us.

However, I was trying to create custom object and then link with Person/Lead column in database for the GUID. Then use munction to read the value and update the GUID to user friendly value. However, it is not working as it might be the case that munction are not supported to run on Custom fields.

Please find below the screen-shots & any help would be appreciated.

Hopefully I have created the Custom object in a right way and link it with field in Marketo database that is holding GUID.

Vidhi_Kare_0-1625109796502.png

Vidhi_Kare_1-1625109937842.png

Here Job Title (c) is holding GUID value.

Vidhi_Kare_3-1625110036811.png

##LOOKUP({{lead.Job Title (c)}},'jobDescription_c','gUID','jobDescription','Hey107')##

However it is updating the attribute with default value i.e. 'Hey107'. Just wanted to know why it is not reading the friendly value from Job Description field in custom object.

Kind Regards,

Vidhi

3 REPLIES 3
Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Using Munction with Custom Object in Marketo - Translating GUIDs

Hi @Vidhi_Kare ,

As far as I'm aware, Munctions are not supported functionality in Marketo - so you might be out of luck here. In any case, I think you're right in that they were never meant to work on custom fields.

Fundamentally though I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you are trying to do. I'm guessing it's take a person's job title, then look up a job description based on it, and write that to a field?

Vidhi_Kare
Level 3

Hi @Phillip_Wild ,

Thank you for your inputs.

Yes, that's spot on understanding of what we are trying to achieve. Job Title is a standard field in Marketo but Job Description is a custom field which is holding user friendly values for each GUIDs. But munctions are not returning the value on on using the formula.

If the field 'job title' is a standard field in Marketo database, then we were expecting it to work. So which is why we got confused.

Kind Regards,

Vidhi

Phillip_Wild
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Gotcha. If you are taking a value then cross-referencing that in another table, it is probably best to do this externally. 

Low-budget, you could maintain a Google Sheet, fire out a webhook to Zapier, look up the value in the Google Sheet, and return it into a Job Description field. Slightly higher budget (but much more robust) - check out FlowBoost (https://etumos.com/products/flowboost/).

What you are doing fundamentally with Munctions isn't supported by Marketo, so while it might work, it also might not... and troubleshooting doesn't exist. Good luck and hopefully the other options work for you.