SOLVED

Re: Using landing page to restrict access

Go to solution
Sherry_Hale
Level 4

Using landing page to restrict access

I have a problem I'm trying to see if Marketo can help me to solve.  We have paid users and free users of our software program.  We want to allow our paid users access to a free video training but it's a LOT of programming to do this within our software application.

Is there a way to create a landing page with the link to the video but only show the landing page or video to those that are marked as "paid" in SFDC? 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way of doing this is by using dynamic content and creating segments.  One segment for free users and one segment for paid users.  You can then display the video content to the paid user segment and display different content to the free user segment.

Additional information can be found here.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

One way of doing this is by using dynamic content and creating segments.  One segment for free users and one segment for paid users.  You can then display the video content to the paid user segment and display different content to the free user segment.

Additional information can be found here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

One simple option is passing an URL parameter in the email link and then, in the landing page, checking whether that parameter is valid. It requires minimum time and effort to implement.

The email link would be something like http://www.example.com?paid_user_sfdc={{lead.token_for_paid_user}}

The landing page would have a hidden field to read the URL parameter 

0EM50000000REPL.jpg

The last step is defining a short jQuery script redirects to the relevant link

<****** type="text/javascript" src="/js/public/jquery-latest.min.js"></*****>
<***** type="text/javascript">
    // set no conflict mode for jquery
  var $jQ = jQuery.noConflict();

$jQ(document).ready(function(){
      // compare the hidden field with the expected value
      // if matches, redirect to the intended gated content 
      // window.location.href = 'http://www.example.com/gated.html';
      // otherwise send to another page 
      // window.location.href = 'http://www.example.com/';

});
</******>

Where you see ****** use "script"

Sherry_Hale
Level 4

Thank you both!  Out of the two options here, is one easier than the other?  Seems like option A is simpler but is one more effective than the other?
Anonymous
Not applicable

As with most things.  There is alwys more than one way to accomplish the same thing.  It just depends on what you are most comfortable with.  If you are comfortable with scripting, then you could definitely go that route.  That would require that your users fill out a form to view the video content, and you will also need to create two landing pages, one for paid users and one for free users.  But that is definitely one way to do it.

On the other hand, if you are not comfortable with scripting, then I would reccomend the way I suggested.  You would be using built in functionality within Marketo.  You would have to create a program for paid users, if you don't have one already.  Within that program you would need to have a list, and a smart campaign that listens for when the field that gets changed when a user changes from free to paid, and have a flow step to add the lead to the list in that program.  From there you can create a segment based off of that list.  And then you can create a landing page that uses dynamic content and display the video for the paid users (ones in the segment) and different dynamic content to everyone else.  And this can all be accomplished on one landing page.
Sherry_Hale
Level 4

Thank you Kenny.  So if I free users clicked the link, we would like to show them a different message of "Please contact sales for upgrade information" or something like that.  Would the way you suggested work?  I have ot be honest, I'm not comfortable with scripting.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, the dynamic content would definitely work.  Basically what you are doing is tell Marketo to display the paid user content only to the leads that are within the segment that you have set up.  Anyone else that visits that page would see whatever default content you want to display to them.  Or if you want to display content for brand new people, and then different content for free users, and then the video for paid users, you can also do that.  You would just have to create another segment for free users.
Sherry_Hale
Level 4

Thank you BOTH very much!!!!
Sherry_Hale
Level 4

So I went to do this and I don't have the segmentation option in my instance of Marketo.  Darn it!  Any other ideas?