Using email address contains field in smart campaigns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using email address contains field in smart campaigns

I was wondering if anyone has used the email address field contains in a smart campaign before.

So for example, if we wanted to send an email to 200 companies and included the email address contains field to target anyone at those companies.  

This method has timed out for us whenever we try to generate the list.  I think this call to the DB is too complex (when there are too many values in the field, ie, contains 200 email addresses)

Can you please share your thoughts on best practices for smartlists and how to target leads from specific companies in a smart list.

Thanks,
-Jamie
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Using email address contains field in smart campaigns

Hi Jamie,

Have you considered splitting your list in half, or quarters?  You could still send out the same email and funnel all replies into the same campaign, but having a smaller list for the system to sort through should get rid of the time out issues. 

-John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Set up the smart list independently, not within the campaign's smartlist tab, and let it churn until it's all loaded and counted.  Select all of the leads in the smartlist and add them to a static list, then use the static list members in your campaign for fast launching on schedule.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Caching the smartlist can also help - then just redo as desired.

If you think you are going after companies on a regular basis, you may want to break these into individual static lists then have a dynamic that pulls those named company lists together - then you can hit the aggregate or the individuals.

Another speed option is to have a custom checkbox - "targetedAccount" or the like and flag it then the lists move faster as it just needs to look for targetedAccount=true.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with what's been said above, and I would add that I would create a separate Smart Campaign and include the Smart List there + the Flow step to add them to a static list. And then email the static list in a separate campaign.

Another thing to consider that is you might not want to email too many of the same @domain.com with the same email campaign as some company might be welcome the onslaught of the same email coming in all once to the email servers. It might be considered a spammy move (even if it's not). Might consider splitting them up based on some other factor, other than the email domain.

Make sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. We decided to create a create a static list from the smart list. I like the idea of populating a new field for targeted companies and also appreciate the warning to evaluate how many leads are on the list per company to avoid spamming them. Thanks -Jamie