Re: Using a Marketo workspace for internal communications

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a Marketo workspace for internal communications

Hi Marketing Nation,

I was wondering if anyone was using a Marketo workspace/lead partition for internal communications? 

I'm interested in setting up a workspace for some internal departments.

9 REPLIES 9
Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Hi Chantelle, 

What is the reason behind bringing the internal communication into Marketo? Are you trying to see the employee engagement? Are you trying to give access to a set users to have the ability to execute email programs without impacting your customers/prospecting campaigns?

It sounds like a good idea if you have more than enough capacity on your lead database. As your internal communication audience grows, this might require additional investment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Ashley!

The reason is to see the employee engagement on the emails and exactly as you said - give access to users to execute without impacting customers/prospecting campaigns. We have enough capacity in our database as well so I'm not worried about that part.

How do you do your internal communications?

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Hi Chantelle,

I am on the consulting side. We have seen some of our clients create a workspace/partition to provide more access to a select group of their marketing team to market to a select leads/contacts in their Marketo DB. I do not see any issues with that.  Especially in your case since you are targeting internal emails.  

In my previous life, we used a separate tool for internal communications. Since the cost was too high to bring these emails to our Marketo DB and our communication was once a month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for your feedback Ashley!

Chris_Saporito
Level 9

We currently use Marketo to do some internal communications for new hires. Each sales related new hire is added to a triggered campaign of emails with basic wait steps. It's nothing too complex but is a great tool for our learning and development team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Chris - I like the idea of sending it to new hires as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chantelle Marchionda​ I can see why you would want to use a workspace for internal communications. From personal experience, I had lots of challenges setting up workspaces, and I came to the conclusion that it's really useful when your database is huge and you have entirely separate products.

I'd recommend exploring creating Program Template for campaign managers where the template has the designated filters necessary where they can only communicate with employees.

It's a little riskier, but saving time on overhead may be a worthwhile trade off.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Hi Allison, Can you provide some of the challenges you experienced?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Ashley Ayan​,

I was investigating using Workspaces in two ways: one to use it as a working sandbox, the other for our EU office. I watched the Workspaces webinars, and tried setting it up.

In order to get your leads over to the workspace, you need to migrate them over from your existing database, and make sure they only live in one workspace (or you'll get dupes). So not only do you need to create a triggered campaign to put them in the appropriate partition, but you need to batch update.

Then you need to create shared folders, in the Design Studio and Lead Database. You also need to create entirely new programs in your new workspace. The programs will not clone unless every asset lives in the shareable folder.

If you have a master lead router, you'll need to set up workspace flows there so they are routed to the workspace. If you use Universal tokens, you'll have to replicate them all over again in your new workspace.

Finally, when I tried removing a lead partition, I kept getting lots of errors. It finally worked but it was after a lot of tries.

Let me know if this helps!