Using a form to update existing leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a form to update existing leads

Hi there,

I am trying to create more segmented email preferences (newsletter, offers, and product updates) and let users update them from our website. I have created custom fields for these three subscriptions and have been working with the API calls and webhooks, but there are a lot of edge cases that make this really complicated. Can I use a form to keep these fields updated?

My question is - if I used an inline form on our website to let customers update their email preferences, would the results of that form update all leads in Marketo with that email address? We have duplicates because one email could be tied to multiple accounts.

So the form would have:
Email
Newsletter subscribe
Offers subscribe
Product updates subscribe

When submitted, I would ideally like it to update all leads with that email in Marketo.

I have been working/tearing my hear out on this for a while, so any other suggestions are welcome. 🙂

Thanks!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Re: Using a form to update existing leads

Hi Zoe!

That's a stumper.  I want to say yes, but I feel like that will only happen if the Munchkin is tied to that email address.  I say that because at my previous company, we had a bunch of duplicate leads due to the improper uploading of static lists - even though they had the same email address as their counterpart lead in SFDC, Marketo created a new record.

Anyone else have some clarity on this?  I'm curious.

-Jenn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using a form to update existing leads

Hi Zoe,

I don't think what you are trying to do can be automated at this point. The issue is isolating a piece of data (email address) and adding that to a list opposed to the record that actually performed the behavior. 

I think the best workaround would be to send yourself an alert email with the email address in it so that you can change things manually. 

Are you allowing Leads to change their email address on this form as well?