SOLVED

Unsubscribing from Marketo and changing SFDC records?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsubscribing from Marketo and changing SFDC records?

I am working with a large mailing list and have received a lot of undeliverables. While we do all of our Marketing campaigns from Marketo, we have salespeople who send Outlook e-mails through SalesForce. You can see that Marketo stamps the SalesForce records with activity (campaigns mailed, click-throughs) and it's frustrating to see this and e-mail through Outlook to an address that ends up bouncing back as undeliverable.

I know that Marketo isolates bad e-mails from subsequent streams, but is there any way that they can be automatically flagged or removed in SalesForce? 

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Re: Unsubscribing from Marketo and changing SFDC records?

Bridget,

I've set up a couple campaigns to leverage the SFDC Confirm Email Address flag (the yellow caution triangle). The campaign is as follows:

Smart List (Use ALL Filters)
  • Data Value Changes - Email Invalid - New Value is True
  • Email Bounced Date is Empty (want to exclude any email address that have already been flagged in SFDC)
Flow (Lead Can Run Through Everytime)
  • Change Data Value - Email Bounced Date - New Value is {{system.dateTime}}
  • Change Data Value - Email Bounced Reason - New Value is Marketo Bounce

The SFDC caution triangle will appear next to the email address if it has both a Bounced Date and Reason.

Also, we've trained our reps to fix the email address in the SFDC by clicking on that caution triangle. Therefore, I set up a second campaign to update Email Invalid to false if the email address is corrected:

• Data Value Changes - Email Address - New Value is Not Empty
  • Email Invalid is True
  • Change Data Value - Email Invalid - New Value is False

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

While there are many things you can do to FLAG the leads (change lead status, show the "Email Invalid" checkbox, etc, etc) - there is nothing you can do to prevent your reps from using Outlook to email your leads directly.

If your reps are using something like the Mail Merge functionality of Outlook, then I would say that you have a bigger problem than what you can solve with Marketo.

If on the other hand, you simply concerned with the inidividual emails being undelivered, then you could go with the flagging option - and then educate the reps about the meaning of the flag.

To remove the bad email addresses entirely, you could setup a trigger campaign that fires anytime an email bounces and then do a Data Value Change to your email address and set it to NULL:
https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kze0CAC

I would say that this is definitely a last resort option - and is not a best practice - mainly because you open yourself up to aquiring the bad email again and emailing it again, and so on...
Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

Bridget,

I've set up a couple campaigns to leverage the SFDC Confirm Email Address flag (the yellow caution triangle). The campaign is as follows:

• Data Value Changes - Email Invalid - New Value is True
  • Email Bounced Date is Empty (want to exclude any email address that have already been flagged in SFDC)
  • Change Data Value - Email Bounced Date - New Value is {{system.dateTime}}
  • Change Data Value - Email Bounced Reason - New Value is Marketo Bounce

The SFDC caution triangle will appear next to the email address if it has both a Bounced Date and Reason.

Also, we've trained our reps to fix the email address in the SFDC by clicking on that caution triangle. Therefore, I set up a second campaign to update Email Invalid to false if the email address is corrected:

• Data Value Changes - Email Address - New Value is Not Empty
  • Email Invalid is True
  • Change Data Value - Email Invalid - New Value is False

Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grant, I agree with not deleting the e-mail address, for the reason you mentioned. Our reps are not supposed to be directly e-mailing out of Outlook...but they do, anyway. Conor, I will try your method to see if it works in our case. Thanks, guys!