Trouble Syncing Marketo Changes to SFDC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble Syncing Marketo Changes to SFDC

We have a campaign that's triggered by a boolean field being changed to true. Then, at the end of that campaign's flow is a change data value step to reset that same boolean field back to false.

The problem is I can't seem to get that reset back to false to sync with SFDC. I even added a "sync lead to SFDC" step in that same flow after the "change data value" but it still isn't showing up in SFDC. Any ideas? Could it be because we are using person accounts instead of leads in SFDC? Or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing that is keeping Marketo from overriding SFDC data?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Trouble Syncing Marketo Changes to SFDC

Hi Rebecca,

There are so many things that can go wrong there.

The first thing that I would think of is that you are in fact manipulating a account SFDC field, which Marketo does not have the right to change (the SFDC Account - > Marketo Lead sync is one way only). Go to the admin -> Lead management, bring the field to the center pane and look how this field is mapped. It it is mapped with an account field, you are doomed You absolutely need to use a contact field, not an account one.

If this is not the reason, post again below, we will investigate the other possibilities

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was afraid of....

Our Salesforce team is only using accounts, they're doing nothing with leads or contacts. No idea why they chose to do that as the decision was made by a 3rd party implementation partner before I joined the company.

Thanks for the reply! I'm afraid I won't get anywhere asking the SFDC team to change their structure but I may try!

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Rebecca, I believe you're able to reach out to support and have them update your instance of Marketo so that you can affect account fields. This sounds like it would be extremely beneficial for your setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dory! I didn't realize it was something Marketo could change. I will definitely reach out to support!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rebecca,

Before you do this, double check there is not a contact field that could do the job. when using person accounts in SFDC, all contact fields are duplicated at account level and exist twice in Marketo. These fields can be updated if you do use the true contact field (usually recognizable because the field name does not end up with an "(A)")

Enabling account update has drawbacks also, as you all of a sudden will be able to update account data, for instance when someone fills out a form, he/she may change the company name. Sales may hate it, and at a minimum, you will have to reviews all the privileges of the Marketo user to restrict field "Edit" right and make sure Marketo does not inadvertently override key data. Meaning you will have to do some work on SFDC anyhow.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Gregoire. We are B2C and only using person accounts in SFDC. Each person will have their own account so we shouldn't run into the issues of an account update affecting multiple contacts/leads. We are not using leads and contact at all.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Rebecca,

Then it should work fine

You may also want to hide some SFDC account fields that are in fact just replicas of the contact ones, or alternatively hide the contacts fields. But this can be done in Marketo ("admin -> lead management", select the field, the "field action -> hide field").

-Greg