trigger based on FIELD fill out

Moritz_Trollman
Level 3

trigger based on FIELD fill out

Hi,

We are receiving registrations on paper for certain marketo campaigns.
Some people enter their email address on paper and some dont. 

We capture those paper registrations via customer service (they manually enter the details).

I would like to add those people to a campaign that gave us their email address on paper.

The tricky part is to sort out people that are in the system with an email address but have not provided it on the paper form.

Is there a way to run a smart campaign based on email field fill out so that I can add only those people to a campaign that actually provided their email address on the paper form ?

I would like to avoid creating extra fields for this.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: trigger based on FIELD fill out

The goal here is to ensure you have the email addresses captured as "registrants" for a specific Marketo program, correct (I'm using "program" here for your use of "campaign")?  If so, it doesn't matter if they already exist in Marketo - if they do, Marketo knows that and will not create a duplicate.  So all you would need to do is import a .csv file of all those email addresses as members of the program - assigning them the appropriate program status (e.g., "registered"). 

0EM50000000SxbO.jpg

If you really need to know what the difference is between the manually captured email addresses and ones that already exist in the program, create a smart list to comparing the two lists.
Moritz_Trollman
Level 3

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your reply.
i think my description of the issue was not clear enough.

I want to add those people to a program (you are right campaign was the wrong word here) that added their email address on the paper registration. 
Customer service enters this data manually into a marketo form on a landing page. 

For new leads there is no issue. The problem I am facing is that we may alreay have a lead record of the person in the system with their email address. In case we receive a paper registration from that person without an email address on the paper, marketo will update the lead records. This is completely fine. However, I would not want to add this person to the marketo program because there was no Email address stated on the paper registration. 

This is why i am looking for a trigger that is based on a field fillout.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you receive any lead without an email address, it shouldn't even be entered into Marketo as email address in the unique identifier in Marketo.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's also a watch out if your reps are entering a Marketo form with the lead's information -- if you have Munchkin on the page they could get cookied as the lead and start adding web activity into that lead's history. 
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

How about  a custom field- maybe a check box called something like "paper reg email". then when customer service enters the record for them they check that box  only if they also provided email address on the paper form (put the new field right next to email field on their page layout so they see it easily). then you can run a smart campaign on the data value changing to true. then only people who gave you email address on the paper forms would be added. just make sure customer service only checks box if the email address was on the paper reg form.

there are variations on this idea but maybe this will get your thought juices flowing:)