Re: Tracking Conversions on Embedded Forms

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tracking Conversions on Embedded Forms

Hi Everyone, 

We are in the process of embedding some new 2.0 forms on our website, but we are having issues on the best way to track conversions from those forms. Usually we track conversions straight from the Marketo landing pages the forms live on, but since they won't be on Marketo pages, we are having difficulty finding ways to track them. 

Our auto-responder campaigns work just fine when the form is submitted, but we haven't been able to find a way to track actual conversion rates. 

Also, if we are going to be using the same form on multiple pages on our website, how do we go about directing the various submissions to the appropriate pages now that they are not going to be Marketo pages in our smart campaigns and flow steps?

Thanks for your help!
Alec
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would place the form in a program and have a successful progression status associated with the form submit.

We also use one form for multiple website assets.  I track conversions by passing resource values from hidden fields on the form that we code on our website page.  If you are using SFDC you could associate a campaign with each asset/offer to track conversions or a program who each would work.  In this case the change in progression status would be based a data value change to the asset fields rather than a form submission.
Trish_Voskovitc
Level 5

i think the question is the same one we have. if i want to set up a trigger campaign that is
fills out form with a constraint of a specific page the form is on how do you do that?

the only constraint i see is the landing page constraint but that is for when the form is sitting on a marketo landing page not embedded on a page on your site.

i thought maybe i could put in a URL for the page on site the form was on but that doesn't work .

we may have the same form on 3 different pages on our site, but i want to do a smart campaign for each that will allow me to say they filled out form on page A and then have specific flow steps  and then another campaign that is they filled out the form on page B with different flow steps.

right now i am thinking our only solution is to create clones of our form with different names for each page they will be embedded on and then just use the "unique" form name  for each of my smart campaigns.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I echo Alec's question here, specifically regarding tracking an embeded marketo form on a non marketo landing page. We can definitely track how many people submitted the form by placing the form in a program and having a successful progression status associated with the form submit. However, how will we track how many people came to the form but did not fill it out (bounced off)  and the corresponding conversion rate?

Thanks,
Agnes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I have the same question as Trish. I want to use a single Marketo form accross multiple non-Marketo landing pages, and have the leads enter different programs based on what landing pages they converted on. For examples if they fill out the form on the Case Study A page I want them to enter the Case Study A program. If they submit the form on Case Study B page I want them to enter the Case Study B program. If you are using Marketo landing pages you can easily make this happen using the landing page constraint. It doesn't appear you have that option when you use non-Marketo landing pages, however.

The only thing I can think of is cloning your form everytime you want to gate a new asset. By giving an identical form a different name (Exmaple: CaseStudyA-Form) you should be able to direct the leads into the right program. That could get to be a lot of individual forms to create if you have a lot of assets you want to gate, but maybe that is the only solution.

Has anybody found a different way to do this?

Thanks,
Cam

Heidi_Ramich
Level 2

I haven't tested this - but I think the logic will work.  I used this logic, but linked my Marketo Program to an SFDC campaign and they have the same 2.0 form for many LPs across the site.   I think using a custom field with a program token (unique) may work rather than having to create SFDC campaigns.  Use progressions in your Marketo Program to record changes in program status.  What's a progression?  You might ask.

So, you have a Smart campaign in your Marketo Program to send the email, and add other smart campaigns under the same program (progressions) to track key milestone (delivered, opened, clicked, converted/success).  For example:   Open email progress is a Smart list is a trigger "opens email", Flow step is change programs status = open.  Try using custom field (to report on) and use a change data value step in the flow to update the custom field and use a program token to insert campaign name/date. Completes form progression (fill out form trigger) is your conversion/success for the program.  So the "campaign progressions" in your Program should let you create a report in SFDC on who opened, clicked, and you should be able to report via the custom field by the campaign name/date that you set up in the Program token.  

LMK if it works for you. Using an SFDC campaign and syncing it to the Marketo program - we could easily report on delivered emails, clicks, opens, form completes and unsubscribes via SFDC reports.  We used this mostly for email based campaigns including events and webinars.  You may want to set up additional program tags for other program types (events, tradeshows and webinars).