Tracking Banner Ad w/ UTM Sources

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Tracking Banner Ad w/ UTM Sources

You put the form anywhere you want to track UTM codes.  It gets submitted automatically and the user never has to deal with it.  It's exactly the same as the general suggestion about mapping UTMs to Form Fields (which in turn become fields on a Lead) except the user doesn't have to interact with the form.  

(In technical terms, it's an Ajax POST. It happens that that's the method Forms 2.0 uses to send to the Mkto servers.)
Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

Kelly, if all you want to do is track how a campaign is performing, I'm not sure that you need the hidden form, extra javascript code, etc. The UTM codes will already be visible in Marketo, in the 'Querystring' tags (see my screenshot above). You can set up a search for them just by using that constraint in a SmartList, like in my screenshot.

This is how we track several of our third party campaigns (Adwords/SEM, LinkedIn posts, etc.) and it works quite well for our reporting purposes. We don't use any kind of hidden forms or extra javascript code.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Bruce J You can search on the raw query string.  But as far as persisting the Lead Source(s) to the Lead you'd have to set up a flow to write out the fields.  It's way more complex IMO than having the LS automatically populated (which is why the form-field-read-from-query-string-or-cookie feature exists in the first place, right?).
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kelly T, if you want to give me a call directly I can walk you through one way to do it to get you going.
949-697-8606
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bruce J - This is the way I want to track everything. But - it doesn't seem to be working.  Take a look at the below screenshot. This smart list is not returning anyone. And, I know of at least one known lead who visited that page. It doesn't work either when I use "Referrer" instead of "Querystring" as a constraint.

Any ideas?

0EM50000000SzEG.jpg

0EM50000000SzEQ.jpg
Bruce_Jeffers
Level 4

@Kelly -- Your 2nd screenshot shows the UTM info coming through in the Referrer URL, so that's probably why the Querystring search is coming up empty.

A couple things I'd try:

1. I can't tell from your first screenshot if you've included the UTM codes in the Web Page value. If so, try removing those. Also try shortening the whole URL value that's there. Leave enough of it so that the query still searches just for that specific page, but perhaps remove part of it (for example,  contains: "making-print-your-competitive-advantage" instead of the full URL.)

2. Try adding another filter for Anonymous=true or Anonymous=false and see if that changes the results.

If neither of those work, then I may be stumped here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That didn't work either, @Bruce. 

But - I called Marketo Support (thanks Grant Booth, for your help!) and I believe the issue is that my subscribe form is on a landing page that is iframed into the site and it's not showing that the lead clicked on the actual story, just the iframed page. 

So, I'm off to fix this now. 

Thanks for your efforts all!