SOLVED

Re: Text-Only Version Not Working

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Text-Only Version Not Working

Hi all,

For context:  I'm creating an email in dreamweaver.  After i'm finished with the HTML in dreamweaver, I copy and edit the full code into Marketo's email editor.  The HTML email works and looks fine.

My problem:  I have edited the text-only version of my email, but when I send myself a text-only email sample, I get a blank message with the unsubscribe link at the bottom.  I then tried to use the function of "copy text from HTML" and when I did this, it completed deleted the text-only version.

Question is, if I'm not using an email template provided by Marketo, does this cause errors in the text-only email editor?  Has anyone else experienced this before?  What can I do?

Thank you for your time and help..

Best,
Janice

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You need at least one "mktEditable" tag in your email. Can you just throw this in:

<body>

<div class="mktEditable" id="mainContainer">

...your email body content here...

</div>

</body>

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You need at least one "mktEditable" tag in your email. Can you just throw this in:

<body>

<div class="mktEditable" id="mainContainer">

...your email body content here...

</div>

</body>

Anonymous
Not applicable

WELL THERE YA HAVE IT, THANK YOU JUSTIN!!!

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hey Justin,

I'm having the same issue with an email and this fix didn't work for me. Marketo stripped out the <body> tags when I made the additions. Would that have prevented the solution from working? If so, how do I stop Marketo from removing those tags?

I'm not sure I should need to add them to the email, however, since the template has "mktEditable" tags.

Best,

Denise

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Then you're good, any text in an mktEditable section will be auto-copied to the TEXT version of the email for your editing.

http://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Edit+the+Text+Version+of+an+Email

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hey Justin,

Yes, I was in great shape, other than the fact that it wasn't working, per my description. The next day it mysteriously worked correctly, however. One of those Marketo gremlins must have been messing with us.

Denise

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

I am having this same issue and adding this in to the html also didn't work for me. When I select "copy from html to text", the text is still blank.

Is there another fix for this?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Hi Carolyn, there are a few concepts of "HTML" in our email experience, so I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. This does not refer to the "Edit Code" button at the top of the email editor...rather, what we're saying is that any Rich Text editable marketo element (tagged either mktEditable or mktoText per our Email Template Syntax - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation) on the HTML side of the email will have it's text contents copied over to the Text version of the email. Nothing else will be copied, including other things in the template, String variables, etc..

Is this what you're doing and you are seeing this not work?

Justin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the clarification. I was able to add <div class="mktoText" id="copy"> around all the text fields and it is working.

Thanks,

Carolyn