SOLVED

Sugar vs. Salesforce.com Marketo Integration

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sugar vs. Salesforce.com Marketo Integration

Does anyone have experience with SFDC and Sugar and know the major differences in the Marketo integration?  I know there's never going to be anything better than a native SFDC integration.  From the initial research I've done it looks like Sugar has the basic integration needs nailed (opportunity integration, Marketo data showing up in Sugar, etc.).

But are there any major shortcomings in the integration for someone that is used to a Marketo/Salesforce.com integration? 

For example:

• Can you define lead thresholds in marketo campaigns and only send leads over to Sugar that have met the defined point threshold?
  • Will Sugar CRM show Marketo-based activities such as email views, opens, web activity, in a SUMMARIZED clean format? (i.e. “user clicked email” or User viewed web page”)  I saw a tutorial and it looks like they list ALL the marketo updates (i.e. every lead score change, so it looked a little messy)
  • Within Marketo sales alert emails, can you link to the lead/contact record in Sugar, directly from the email?
  • Can sugar track the lead/campaign source from a lead that is converted to an opp?  So that we have closed loop ROI reporting...
  • Could I run an activity/task report in Sugar for say everyone that clicked an email or downloaded A WP from a marketo campaign?  Can I sort by Open, In Progress, Completed?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sugar vs. Salesforce.com Marketo Integration

Here are answers to your questions if the overview Kenny posted is tl;dr (BTW, it is an extremely informative read -- definitely check it out if youre interested in integrating SugarCRM 7.X and Marketo):

1) Can you define lead thresholds in marketo campaigns and only send leads over to Sugar that have met the defined point threshold? 

• Yes, setting a score threshold before having lead records synced from Marketo to SugarCRM is a native feature of the Sugar connector.

2) Will Sugar CRM show Marketo-based activities such as email views, opens, web activity, in a SUMMARIZED clean format? (i.e. “user clicked email” or User viewed web page”)  I saw a tutorial and it looks like they list ALL the marketo updates (i.e. every lead score change, so it looked a little messy)

• You can configure the types of activities that are published from Marketo into Sugar. As such, you can filter out activities into a clean, summarized format by using Interesting Moments, rather than syncing every activity/ data value change.

3) Within Marketo sales alert emails, can you link to the lead/contact record in Sugar, directly from the email?

Yes, you can concatenate the sugarcrm_id token in Marketo to either a Lead or Contact url in Sugar within a sales alert. In fact, use a Marketo Formula Field to populate the url differently if the record is a Lead or a Contact:
This image is not available because: You don’t have the privileges to see it, or it has been removed from the system

As for the sales alert, you can include the following information (and more*):

• Name: {{lead.First Name}} {{lead.Last Name}}
  • Email: {{lead.Email Address}}
  • SugarCRM URL: {{lead.sugarcrm_link}}

Which will result in:

*Add in as many tokens as you'd like to give the sales rep as much information as possible. 

4) Can sugar track the lead/campaign source from a lead that is converted to an opp?  So that we have closed loop ROI reporting...

• Yes, Sugar can track Lead Source. However, because the SugarCRM-Marketo connector supports integrating to the Opportunity module, you would have much more insight and visibility using Marketo reporting for ROI attribution because you can do analysis on multi-touch attribution.

• *BTW, one slight difference b/w the SFDC and Sugar integrations is that Sugar Campaigns to Marketo Programs is not supported. Since Sugar owns the connector, feel free to make this request on the SugarCRM community message board if this is a desired feature. (However, keep in mind that Marketo's reporting is much more robust than the normal Sugar Campaign module reporting!)

5) Could I run an activity/task report in Sugar for say everyone that clicked an email or downloaded A WP from a marketo campaign?  Can I sort by Open, In Progress, Completed?

• I'm sure you can do this if you publish every email activity to Sugar ...However, you mentioned earlier than you wanted to keep a clean and summarized view of all the activity within Sugar, so I would suggest that you easily run this report out of Marketo. (i.e. use a SmartList)

I hope this helped! (But I'd still recommend that you read the document that Kenneth had shared!)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Robert,

Sugar has a fairly comprehensive overview here which may help answer some of your questions regarding this: http://support.sugarcrm.com/02_Documentation/035_Installable_Connectors/Marketo/Marketo_User_Guide/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are answers to your questions if the overview Kenny posted is tl;dr (BTW, it is an extremely informative read -- definitely check it out if youre interested in integrating SugarCRM 7.X and Marketo):

1) Can you define lead thresholds in marketo campaigns and only send leads over to Sugar that have met the defined point threshold? 

• Yes, setting a score threshold before having lead records synced from Marketo to SugarCRM is a native feature of the Sugar connector.

2) Will Sugar CRM show Marketo-based activities such as email views, opens, web activity, in a SUMMARIZED clean format? (i.e. “user clicked email” or User viewed web page”)  I saw a tutorial and it looks like they list ALL the marketo updates (i.e. every lead score change, so it looked a little messy)

• You can configure the types of activities that are published from Marketo into Sugar. As such, you can filter out activities into a clean, summarized format by using Interesting Moments, rather than syncing every activity/ data value change.

3) Within Marketo sales alert emails, can you link to the lead/contact record in Sugar, directly from the email?

Yes, you can concatenate the sugarcrm_id token in Marketo to either a Lead or Contact url in Sugar within a sales alert. In fact, use a Marketo Formula Field to populate the url differently if the record is a Lead or a Contact:
This image is not available because: You don’t have the privileges to see it, or it has been removed from the system

As for the sales alert, you can include the following information (and more*):

• Name: {{lead.First Name}} {{lead.Last Name}}
  • Email: {{lead.Email Address}}
  • SugarCRM URL: {{lead.sugarcrm_link}}

Which will result in:

*Add in as many tokens as you'd like to give the sales rep as much information as possible. 

4) Can sugar track the lead/campaign source from a lead that is converted to an opp?  So that we have closed loop ROI reporting...

• Yes, Sugar can track Lead Source. However, because the SugarCRM-Marketo connector supports integrating to the Opportunity module, you would have much more insight and visibility using Marketo reporting for ROI attribution because you can do analysis on multi-touch attribution.

• *BTW, one slight difference b/w the SFDC and Sugar integrations is that Sugar Campaigns to Marketo Programs is not supported. Since Sugar owns the connector, feel free to make this request on the SugarCRM community message board if this is a desired feature. (However, keep in mind that Marketo's reporting is much more robust than the normal Sugar Campaign module reporting!)

5) Could I run an activity/task report in Sugar for say everyone that clicked an email or downloaded A WP from a marketo campaign?  Can I sort by Open, In Progress, Completed?

• I'm sure you can do this if you publish every email activity to Sugar ...However, you mentioned earlier than you wanted to keep a clean and summarized view of all the activity within Sugar, so I would suggest that you easily run this report out of Marketo. (i.e. use a SmartList)

I hope this helped! (But I'd still recommend that you read the document that Kenneth had shared!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Benjamin Hou - Your screenshot doesn't work and I'd love to see the steps for concatenating the sugarcrm_id token in Marketo to either a Lead or Contact url in Sugar.  We use alerts quite a bit and I've used tokens, but what you've described there is new to me.  Is {{lead.sugarcrm_link}} a new field that must be created or is it a token that Marketo already understands how to use once the integration is complete?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mickey, I reached out to you via LNKD. Can you shoot me an email and I'll sync up with you?
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone synching with SugarCRm that wants to include a link to the record in Sugar:

There is an alternative to creating a new field.  You need to create a custom token in the campaign (call it anything you like, I used {{my.SugarCRM URL}}).  Create it as an email script token and edit it to show this:

https://abccrm.abc.com/sugarcrm/index.php#${lead.sugarcrm_type}/${lead.sugarcrm_id}

We host our Sugar instnace, so the first part of your url may appear differently.  You can check this by looking at a lead or contact record in Sugar.  Now, so long as your Sugar/Marketo connector is working properly and you allow an appropriate delay before sending the alert, each record in Marketo will have the Sugar Type & ID fields complete.  When I use this in my alerts I set the default to =null which leaves a blank so that I can be aware of any problems with timing or the connector.