Subdomains and Munchkin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subdomains and Munchkin

We have one domain name with 1500 subdomains.  (Essentially each user account on our system gets their own subdomain).

I'd like to track activity on our main site... www.foo.com   
as well as the activity in the subdomains...

sub1.foo.com
sub2.foo.com
sub3.foo.com
subx.foo.com
and our blog...
blog.foo.com

I've been reading a number of postings in the community/help pages that munchkin cookies don't share information between domain names.  (i.e. standard cookie security stuff)....

but... shouldn't subdomains work?   Meaning a user moving from sub1.foo.com to sub2.foo.com will be treated as a single individual...and I can track their anonymous web traffic (or non-anonymous traffic) as one full set in marketo....

From some simple testing today.. it appears that a user moving from sub1.foo.com to sub2.foo.com is NOT being treated as a single user.   In Marketo, I'm only seeing traffic from one of the subdomains when a user switches between them..... 

Question:
Is it possible to track across subdomains?
If so, is there any magic I need to do, since it clearly isn't working now.

Thanks in advance.

Pat-

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Subdomains and Munchkin

Pat,

Tthe Marketo cookie is a domain cookie and should work across subdomains. Are you using the same cookie in both places? Do you have any javascript errors on the other subdomains? Are you using Lead Partitions and Workspaces w/ different Munchkin codes?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason,
I did some digging into the cookies set, and it appears that a new cookie is being set with every subdomain.  See
Screenshot.   This seems consistent with the results I'm seeing when someone registers on our site.  I'm only seeing the activity from that particular subdomain.   Is it possible to set a cookie with a wild card to include all subdomains  *.foo.com

BTW: We just installed our Marketo instance so all the settings are the defaults.   No Lead Partitions or Workspaces. 

Thx

Pat-

subdomain cookies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I've had this work before as well if I recall correctly. I'll look into it. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Erik
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a bit more info.  This is the activity log after someone signsup.  In this case a user named testmarketo. The user's domain is testmarketo.risk.io  As you can see, in this screenshot, I can only see activity from the user hitting testmarketo.risk.io.  This user (prior to signup) had a lot of anonymous traffic to www.risk.io and also to our blog... blog.risk.io, but none of that was attributed to the user. The user also had a lot of non-anonymous traffic (after account creation) to www and the blog..and it is not being recorded.  The munchkin code is the same on all web properties.....  I think the cookies/subdomains are the isssue.  (I hope there is a solution...)

0EM50000000Ppv5.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Patrick,

I looked into this and found that there is no direct way for munchkin to figure out the top level domain accurately for 2 letter country domains, in your case "risk.io".

Some ccTLD's such as ".uk" only allow 3rd level subdomains such as "*.co.uk" and "*.org.uk" while some others allow 2nd as well as 3rd level. Munchkin behaves conservatively in these cases and only sets it's cookie at the 3rd level by default.

You can override this behavior by a small change in your munchkin embed code. In your Munchkin embed code make the following change
Munchkin.init("XXX-XXX-XXX");
change the above to 
Munchkin.init("XXX-XXX-XXX",{ domainLevel : 2 });
This will make munchkin recognize your 2nd level domain under the ".io" ccTLD
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks DJ!
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds great.  I'll give the solution a spin and provide feedback based on how it works.   Thanks DJ & Erik.  I appreciate it.

Pat-

Anonymous
Not applicable

Made the tweaks this morning to the munchkin...and it does indeed work.   It is now properly tracking users across our subdomains.  Thanks again for the help!