SOLVED

Source Tracking - Banner Ads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Source Tracking - Banner Ads

Here's an example of how we're currently tracking lead source (utm_source) and lead source details (utm_medium) through the various channels for a white paper we want to promote:

Email: xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=whitepaper&utm_source=email
Web: xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=whitepaper&utm_source=web
Facebook: xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=whitepaper&utm_source=facebook

How would I track the source and details for a banner ad that we want to promote on a 3rd party website or on multiple 3rd party websites?

xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=whitepaper&utm_source=bannerad

I feel like this doesn't full capture everything because we want to know which 3rd party website generated the conversion.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Source Tracking - Banner Ads

Like Charlie and Misha noted, don't feel tied to using just two parameters. Diving a little deeper, you might consider capturing up to 8 values everytime a form is completed (via mixture of parameters, flow steps and form defaults). Just make sure to capture the first and last touch for future flexability.

Here is a Lead Source guide that you could use as a guideline . I've actually refined the process a bit since publishing the guide to populate the assets via program flow sets and the sources via the parameters.
http://www.revenginemarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RevEngineUltmateGuidetoLeadSource-Manag...

1st Touch (or use UTM equivilent language)
Lead Source (e.g. PPC)
Lead Source Details (e.g.  Google PPC)
Content Asset (e.g. White Paper)
Content Asset Details (e.g. Best Practices White Paper)

Last Touch
Lead Source
Lead Source Details
Content Asset
Content Asset Details

Good luck.

One last note...be super consistant with naming conventions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,
Do you have the ability to use custom links for every 3rd party website you promote the banner on? If so, you can always do something like:

xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=bannerad&utm_source=FIRSTWEBSITE&utm_campaign=whitepaper
xyz.com/marketing-test.html?utm_medium=bannerad&utm_source=SECONDWEBSITE&utm_campaign=whitepaper

If not, I would suggest looking at some of the leads you've generated though the banner ads. It's possible that Marketo tracked the websites in the Original Referrer field for those leads.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Best,
Misha
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could either do utm_source = Web - 3rd party site 1, utm_source = Web - 3rd party site 2, etc.

Or continue to use utm_source = Web and use another parameter like utm_campaign = 3rd party site 1

Sky is truly the limit with UTM tracking parameters - don't be afraid to use other parameters.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like Charlie and Misha noted, don't feel tied to using just two parameters. Diving a little deeper, you might consider capturing up to 8 values everytime a form is completed (via mixture of parameters, flow steps and form defaults). Just make sure to capture the first and last touch for future flexability.

Here is a Lead Source guide that you could use as a guideline . I've actually refined the process a bit since publishing the guide to populate the assets via program flow sets and the sources via the parameters.
http://www.revenginemarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RevEngineUltmateGuidetoLeadSource-Manag...

1st Touch (or use UTM equivilent language)
Lead Source (e.g. PPC)
Lead Source Details (e.g.  Google PPC)
Content Asset (e.g. White Paper)
Content Asset Details (e.g. Best Practices White Paper)

Last Touch
Lead Source
Lead Source Details
Content Asset
Content Asset Details

Good luck.

One last note...be super consistant with naming conventions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it matter how long your links are if you're using 4-8 fields and values within your link?

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I will most likely begin using additional fields.

Thanks.