Smart list, email de-dupe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart list, email de-dupe

Hi guys

I've used Marketo previously, and have been using Eloqua more recentley, however am now back where my heart belongs - Marketo

Can anyone help? Our unique contact field is something called our 'registration key' - not email address/ID. When I look at all the members in my smart list, is it possible to remove duplicate email addresses so I can get a true count of how many unique contacts are in the smart list?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Smart list, email de-dupe

I run into the same problem as we have a duplicate issue with our Contacts. Haven't found something that would remove duplicates or give you the unique number. I usually have to export to excel and run the "remove duplicates" function.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hannah Whyte​ I moved your post to the Products and Support​ section of the site.....AND .. welcome back to Marketo...

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Do you want to remove duplicate emaill addresses from your report or from Marketo?  I'm concerned that you do not use email address as the unique key as that is a key part of Marketo's architecture.  Why would you want multiple records with the same email address, but different 'registration keys'?  With multiple records with the same email address, you run the risk of sending the same email to the same person multiple times at the same time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

>> With multiple records with the same email address, you run the risk of sending the same email to the same person multiple times at the same time.

This is not possible in Marketo (in the same Smart Campaign).  Only one email will be sent to an email -  Marketo de-dupes at point of send.

It would be best to de-dupe your data in order to understand the counts better. I know, in your case that dupes are a necessary evil but the less you have the better!

Elliott_Lowe1

Thanks Neil Robertson-Ravo​, I just learned something new!  Although the duplicates are listed as campaign members of the smart campaign, indeed only one of them is sent the email.  Do you know how Marketo decides which lead gets sent the email and is this the case all of the time?  If not, then your email data will be spread across the duplicate leads, which would have additional negative consequences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The most recently updated record is chosen AFAIK

Elliott_Lowe1

Thanks Neil!  In that case, the email data could easily be distributed somewhat randomly between duplicate leads, which will cause problems with metrics, scoring, etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So its not possible in a smart campaign smart list to see ONLY the email addresses and exact count that the email will be sent to? I'm aware if won't send the same email twice as a system standard as well as de-duping, but ideally we would be able to see the final count of email addresses a blast email will be going to...

Elliott_Lowe1

The Smart List Status in the smart campaign Schedule tab will show the count of the leads the email will be sent. However, in the example below, the smart campaign's smart list was set to include 1 email address, but there are two lead records with that same email address.  So it is overstating what will be sent.

pastedImage_2.png

After sending the email, the Email tab in the smart campaign Overview tab will show the count of the correct number of leads that the email was sent to.

pastedImage_3.png

Another example is when leads in your smart campaign have their Black Listed, Email Invalid. Marketing Suspended or Unsubscribed field values set to 'true'.  In the Smart List Status, you have to net out the number of leads blocked from mailings from the number of leads to be affected.  Rather than have to do the mental math,our smart campaigns typically include filters to not include leads with those field values set to 'true'.

pastedImage_4.png