Setting SFDC user profile permissions restrictive

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting SFDC user profile permissions restrictive

Hello,

I'm reviewing an article regarding integration(Step 2 of 4: Salesforce Side Configuration:https://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000Kz5r) and wondering if it's ok to set my SFDC user profle permissions more restrictive.

According to that article, it seems like we need to check all Read, Create, Edit, and Delete permissions for Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts, Leads and Opportunities at the Standard Object Permissions section. (section 2-4)
I actually want to sync only Leads(not Accounts, CampaignsContacts and Opportunities), so I wonder if it's ok to check these permissions only for Leads.
If it has to be checked, can we uncheck all fields in Contact, Account and Opportunity  when I set Field Level Security?(section 3-4)

I'd be grateful if someone could help me out.

------------------Added on 10/31

I checked out Field Mapping setting, and figured out that I can't manage it just by blocking each field. For example, It' seems to impossible to set up to sync E-mail address field only between Salesforce Lead and Marketo Lead(not Salesforce Contact and Account).
So, I will try to set up SFDC profile very limited. I will uncheck all Basic Access for Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts and Opportunities at the Standard Object Permissions section.

Mark told me Marketo will still function under those setting but I would have a huge issues soon.
Could anyone tell me what kind of huge issues I would possibly have?

Thank you for your time

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Setting SFDC user profile permissions restrictive

Marketo will still function with the limited access to SFDC user profile you are concidering but it would create huge issues for you very soon...Concider just updating the field update rules in Marketo to govern what kind of updates if any Marketo could make to contacts and the related account object...Key term here is "empty always wins" features like progressive profiling on forms can really help update contacts as long as you configure the field update rules in the admin tab of Marketo...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mark,

Thank you so much for helping us again.
I am not sure what kind of issues will be created, but I'll try to manage it by setting field update rules in Marketo.

I personaly would like to try Marketo's useful functions such as progressive profile, but we also think we possibly get wrong information(ex, wrong company name) through Marketo form. Especially because we mainly use Salesforce to manage all sales activity, we need to make sure this sync won't make any mistakes or confusion.

Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked out Field Mapping setting, and figured out that I can't manage it just by blocking each field. For example, It' seems to impossible to set up to sync E-mail address field only between Salesforce Lead and Marketo Lead(not Salesforce Contact and Account).
So, I will try to set up SFDC profile very limited. I will uncheck all Basic Access for Accounts, Campaigns, Contacts and Opportunities at the Standard Object Permissions section.

Mark told me Marketo will still function under those setting but I would have a huge issues soon.
Could anyone tell me what kind of huge issues I would possibly have?

Thank you for your time
Anonymous
Not applicable

Akiko, giving Marketo access to Salesforce leads and not contacts is not recomended. As far as controlling updates to the field email address, you do not need to do that since it is the primary key for a record in Marketo. If someone was to enter a new email address in a form Marketo would not update any existing record...it would create a new record...