Segmentations: Why aren't activity-based filters available

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segmentations: Why aren't activity-based filters available

Recency is one of the most valuable email segmentation tools and yet I can't use activity-based filters in Segmentation. Anyone know precisely why? Thank you in advance! -Laura
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Segmentations: Why aren't activity-based filters available

Segmentations can only work off a data value changing. Activity is not recorded as a unique field, so there is never a data value that changes.

If you would like to segment off of specific activity (downloaded whitepaper, attended webinar, etc.) you could create a checkbox on the lead that would get checked when the user took the specific action. You could also add the lead to a SFDC campaign or Marketo list and filter off of that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense, thank you Thomas. And come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we already have those checkboxes! 
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have Activity Smart Lists that include a variety of activities over a specific timeframe including the following:
  • Clicked Link in Email
  • Clicked Link In Sales Email
  • Visited Web Page
  • Activity was Logged
  • Filled Out Form
  • Last Offline Activity Date
  • Sent Forward to Friend Email
  • Shared Content
You could create a static list based on this and create a segmentation that uses the Member of List filter and reference this list.
Anonymous
Not applicable

--
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliot we are intending on doing something similar. And I was a bit dissapointed that segementation did not support this. 
My workaround was to actually do as you suggested but I was worried about smartlist performance for these activity based filters.

How is that working for you performacne wise? Intially my thought was to use segmentaiton to avoid running into to smart list performance issues but found out that functionality is not supported. When I run smartlists to query for certain activities like open email in the last 30 days I notice Marketo hands.

Potentially I could create a few fields and have Marketo timestamp everytime a specific activity is updated but I was trying to avoid schema changes.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Performance has not been an issue for us with Segmentations based on static lists.  Actiivty-based static lists can be updated with a smart campaign that runs periodically.
Itay_Billet4
Level 8

Hey Elliott, can you publish an example for a smart campaign and a segment? we want to build something similar on web-activity behavior.